The Contributor Inc.
The Contributor Inc.
In partnership with the Director of Housing Initiatives and Social Services Intake Coordinator, the Housing Navigator works with The Contributor C.O.V.E.R.
Homelessness Outreach Team to build relationships with our neighbors experiencing homelessness, provide advocacy, and assist with connection to benefits and housing.
The primary goals of the HOUSING NAVIGATOR will be to conduct intake and triage the needs of our neighbors experiencing homelessness and to document intakes and make applications. The Housing Navigator will administer assessment tools, determine urgency of need, and directly connect clients to resources to facilitate placement into emergency housing, connect to social services and permanent housing, or connect to work program. The Navigator will also assist neighbors in obtaining SNAP (Food Stamps), SNAP E&T, city bus passes, Lifeline Assistance Program phones, TennCare (Medicaid) or Affordable Care Act health insurance, Reemployment Assistance (unemployment insurance) benefits (when directed), and identification documents. The Navigator will also assist or in completing first come, first served online housing applications when they open for all eligible vendors. The Navigator will input applications and monthly case in the Homeless Management InformationSystem (HMIS) database as required.
o Continue to build relationships of trust with individuals who work with The Contributor, keeping case notes and when appropriate, directing them with appropriate urgency level to the appropriate staff person.
- Maintain complete client records, daily activity logs and other reports as directed in The Contributor database.
- Under the Direction of Director of Housing Initiatives, obtain housing readiness documentation such as IDs, Social Security cards, Birth Certificates. income verification, disability verification, as well as city bus passes and Lifeline phones. Connect quickly with vendors by phone or in person to get needed information for housing, health insurance, unemployment, and document applications.
- Attend HMIS and navigator trainings as scheduled.
- Attend team meetings, case conferences, training workshops and community meetings as needed.
- Participate in street outreach projects as deemed necessary.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of physical and mental health emergencies and call for professional assistance from emergency responders, Mobile Crisis, or other resources while making sure the person feels supported.
- Perform shifts in vending office as necessary.
- Has a BA in Social work or 1-year equivalent experience.
- The ability to multi-task between projects and individuals.
- The ability to assess and resolve difficult situations.
- Is organized, efficient, and proficient with computers and related technology: must maintain neighbor-related datatracking systems, including case notes. Must complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Exhibits dedication to the mission and vision of The Contributor.
- Works effectively, compassionately, and professionally with people of varying racial, ethnic, cultural, educational, gender identity, and socio-economic backgrounds, as well as those with criminal conviction history, untreated mental illness, and that travel with pets.
- Has basic understanding of severe mental health, physical health, and substance abuse issues and symptoms, and provides trauma-informed care by understanding that clients may experience defeatism, struggle to manage requests, or have developed survival coping skills to meet their needs which may have to be understood, respected, and managed without judgment.
- Listens with sensitivity to other people’s feelings, needs, and points of view; demonstrates tact and courtesy in expressing opinions or ideas, and recognizing opportunities to enhance community relations.
- Commitment to education trainings (trauma informed trainings as well as technical trainings)
- Is able to work flexible hours and has transportation
- Has the ability to work remotely and be accountable
Position Work Conditions, include but are not limited to:
- 1. Frequent travel by foot, car or other means appropriate to making contact with population. Applicant must have a vehicle.
- 2. Must be able to adjust to the environment of the target population including making visits to homeless encampments, shelters, and personal living environments when needed
- 3. Sitting for extended periods of time
- 4. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices and objects
- 5. Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings
- 6. Travel for the purpose of meeting with clients, training and collaborating with stakeholders, or off-site personnel/management
- Health Insurance paid by The Contributor
- Dental/Vision available
- Flexible PTO
- Great work environment!!
How to Apply
Send Cover Letter and Resume to Cathy@thecontributor.org
- Date Posted: August 11, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Start Date: 08/16/2021
- Salary Range: $35,000-$40,000
- Working Hours: 40hrs/wk; Hours vary