Health Policy Analyst
TennCare is Tennessee’s managed care Medicaid program that provides health insurance coverage to certain groups of low-income individuals such as pregnant women, children, caretaker relatives of young children, older adults, and adults with physical disabilities. TennCare provides coverage for approximately 1.4 million Tennesseans and operates with an annual budget of approximately $12 billion. It is run by the Division of TennCare with oversight and some funding from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
WHY WORK AT TENNCARE?
TennCare’s mission is to improve the lives of Tennesseans by providing high-quality cost-effective care. To fulfill that purpose, we equip each employee for active participation and empower teams to communicate and work collaboratively to improve organizational processes in order to make a difference in the lives our members. Because of the positive impact TennCare has on the lives of the most vulnerable Tennesseans, TennCare employees report that their work provides them with a sense of meaning, purpose, and accomplishment. TennCare leadership understands that employees are our most valuable resource and ensures professional and leadership development are a priority for the agency.
JOB AND DEPARTMENTAL OVERVIEW
The Policy Office is responsible for developing and documenting TennCare policy, preparing and maintaining state administrative rules, and working with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) on issues related to the TennCare demonstration waiver and the Medicaid and CHIP State Plans. The candidate selected for this position will have the opportunity to gain practical policy analysis experience, as well as firsthand experience navigating the relationship between the state and federal governments as it pertains to administering Tennessee’s Medicaid and CHIP programs.
- Coordinating the development, review, and maintenance of written policy documents.
- Monitoring developments in federal and state healthcare policy.
- Analyzing state and federal legislation, federal regulations, and policy guidance documents.
- Conducting research on health policy issues.
- Preparing written reports about various topics related to the TennCare program.
- Assisting as needed with the development and submission of program documentation to CMS.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Policy Director.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in public policy, health policy, public health, public administration, or a related field.
- Strong research skills, including the ability to identify and synthesize information from appropriate sources, and the ability to prepare succinct written analysis of complex issues.
- Practical subject knowledge and the ability to interpret federal and state laws, regulations, and policies.
- Familiarity with the Medicaid and CHIP programs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively and impartially communicate with others about policy-related issues.
- Strong organizational skills, including the proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while completing work within allocated timeframes.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Please refer to the State of Tennessee’s Benfits website for more information: https://www.tn.gov/revenue/careers/employee-benefits.html
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should send their resumes along with a writing sample to Jonathan.Reeve@tn.gov by February 12, 2020.
- Date Posted: January 31, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Government