National Museum of African American Music
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Part-Time)
National Museum of African American Music
The Facilities Maintenance Technician is responsible for repair and maintenance of building-related mechanical, electrical, plumbing, air handling units, and other building mechanical systems. Work involves the lifting of heavy mechanical equipment and apparatus and may be performed in areas of extreme heat or cold. Receives and responds to service calls, takes immediate action to resolve emergency situations or system breakdowns. Performs preventive maintenance. This is a part-time position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with moves & desk setups
- Perform custom setups for meetings and other events
- Install ergonomic keyboard trays upon request
- Install whiteboards upon request
- Hang pictures upon request
- Supply furniture keys to clients upon request
- Clean out refrigerators weekly in all break rooms throughout the building
- Routine and preventive maintenance duties including filter changes, coil cleaning, lubrication, BAS controls and system performance checks.
- Repair and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, air handling units, motors, replace bearings, and dampers.
- Perform minor carpentry tasks including painting, carpet replacement, repair or replace door hardware, locks, panic bars etc.
- Perform basic plumbing repairs including maintaining all restroom fixtures and drain obstruction clearing.
- Perform minor electrical repairs including removing and replacing breakers, lighting fixtures, ballast, switches, and outlets.
- Operate sprinkler and fire alarm systems, place system fire alarm panel on test for system maintenance.
- Perform life safety systems inspections, as required by NFPA and the local AHJ, including emergency lighting test, fire extinguisher inspections, fire sprinkler and fire alarm.
- Requisition necessary material to complete required repairs.
- Provide daily reports to supervisor of daily activities.
Work Schedule – Facilities Maintenance Technician
- Occasional evening or weekend work, overtime and/or shift work may be required as needed to complete tasks.
- On call for emergency response limited but required as needed.
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent; post-secondary related education a plus.
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in maintenance, and repair of building mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and general building maintenance.
- Familiarity with operation of building auxiliary systems i.e., fire-life safety, standby emergency generators.
- Ability to write, execute written and oral instructions and perform arithmetic calculations.
- Strong knowledge of safe work practices and procedures typical for maintenance operations.
- Ability to safely enter confined spaces, lift heavy objects and perform other physically demanding tasks.
- Safely and skillfully use all types of related hand and power tools
- Ability to accurately report findings.
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple workstreams.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills.
- Participates as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- An ongoing commitment to training in both areas of soft and technical skills to maintain current skills and knowledge.
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The incumbent frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The incumbent is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb or balance, which includes working at heights up to 35 feet. The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Amplify Museum Store Discount
- Free or Discounted Entry to Local Venues including Cheekwood, Frist Art Museum, Country Music Hall of Fame and more!
- Discounts to Fifth and Broadway merchants and restaurants and preferred rates at many local hotels
How to Apply
About NMAAM – NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to educating the world, preserving the legacy and celebrating the central role African Americans played in creating the American soundtrack. The Museum shares the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present.
To apply, please follow this link.
NMAAM is an equal opportunity employer.
- Date Posted: February 22, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Salary Range: 17 - 20 per hour