Exhibits and Facilities Specialist
Responsible for maintaining the overall cleanliness of the museum and performing a variety of skilled tasks in the maintenance and operations of exhibits and facilities at the Discovery Center.
- Cleaning of museum facilities, including the outdoor patio and building perimeter, preferably before museum hours.
- Sweep and mop all tiled floor surfaces.
- Vacuum carpeted areas of the museum.
- Clean and service all restrooms, disinfect all toilet bowls, sinks and countertops. Replenish all toilet rolls and towel dispensers. Remove trash and replace lining in all trash cans.
- Identify and report possible repairs to the Director of Exhibits & Facilities.
- Maintain and requisition adequate cleaning supplies, toilet rolls, paper towels and any items needed to complete the job.
- Pick up litter from around the building and grounds.
- Empty garbage and trash receptacles, recycle bins.
- Clean spills, clean drinking fountains, mirrors, tables, walls, fixtures, blinds, light fixtures, etc.; wash windows, walls, metal and woodwork.
- Deep cleaning of STEAM Lab, Adventure Room and The Studio exhibit areas on a regularly scheduled basis.
Exhibits and Facilities:
- Maintains cleanliness, safety, and operation of exhibits, ensuring proper functionality on a daily basis: dusting, cleaning, checking lighting and exhibit operation.
- Assists with routine and preventative maintenance, including safety procedures and checks, on facilities. Assists with repairs as needed.
- Maintenance of Waterworks exhibit.
- Provides direct assistance with all exhibit installations including construction work necessary, installation of objects, text panels, exhibit lighting and other related installation tasks as assigned.
- Maintenance of temporary exhibits.
- Assists in the maintenance of exhibit support areas: shop and docks, tools and machinery.
- Picks up and delivers exhibit items from storage.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Participate in a walkthrough of the museum with supervisor on at least a monthly basis.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Exhibits & Facilities
- Strong communication skills Interpersonal skills
- Results-oriented Attention to detail
- Quality-minded Flexibility
- Multi-task Prioritization skills
- Client service-minded Punctuality and Timeliness
- Organized Positive, upbeat attitude
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required:
- One year’s experience in custodial work or facilities maintenance preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively, professionally, and courteously with visitors, staff and volunteers.
- Knowledge of janitorial procedures and ability to operate related equipment.
- Knowledge of facilities operating systems.
- Basic carpentry skills.
- Ability to operate with interactive and fast-paced team oriented tasks
- Ability to relate to persons of all ages, diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work a very flexible schedule that will include nights, weekends and holidays
- Must possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license.
- Ability to work on ladders.
- This job requires periods of standing, sitting, walking, stooping, kneeling, reaching, turning, twisting, bending above and below the waist, use of hands and arms, lifting, talking, hearing, use of computer and keyboard, and use of cleaning supplies and equipment. Must have the ability to use both hands in fine manipulation of small tools; the ability to see well enough to read handwritten and typewritten materials; push/pull up to 10 lbs., and regularly lift up to 25 pounds.
- Noise level varies from quiet to loud
- Temperature varies from hot to cold
Life & Long-Term Disability
Paid time off
401k with 3% match after one year of employment
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter and 3 references to Veronica Bosnak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Posted: March 29, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 04/10/2023
- Salary Range: 14.42-16.83 per hour
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; varies