Elementary School Teacher
Akiva Community Day School located in Nashville, Tennessee has an opening for an energetic, creative, and skillful educator to join an incredible team of dynamic teachers. The candidate will be comfortable teaching in classes with up to 17 students with multiple learning p profiles and plan accordingly using instructional grouping so that all children’s’ needs can be met. Experience and interest in working with special needs students is a plus.
Akiva Community Day School is a Kindergarten through 6th grade school is dedicated to opportunity to learn about, analyze, and develop their identity as Jews and Americans in the world. Akiva School is dedicated to academic excellence in both General and Judaic Studies, and is part of a community that upholds and supports this city’s only Jewish Day School. Applicants should be committed to teaching with a student centered approach, and keep up with the discipline of researched based practices, and also be adept at teaching and catering to a wide range of student abilities and styles. In addition, the ideal candidate will have the experience teaching STEM and/or a specialty in reading and writing. We are looking for someone with a passion for what they do, respect for confidentiality, a true team player, and a commitment to strong and positive communication with teachers, students, and parents.
- Support the family-centered environment that Akiva works to provide
- Plan and implement quality instruction which encourages students to be actively engaged in the learning process, using Akiva School’s general studies curriculum as a guide. This includes: reading, writing, language arts, math, social studies and science
- Teach a Writer’s Workshop model for writing instruction, including one-on-one conferencing with students to improve individual writer’s abilities.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of a wide variety of students with different learning styles as well as different areas of strength and weakness.
- Promote a positive classroom environment and demonstrate strong classroom management skills in order to create and maintain a learning environment that ensures high levels of learning for all students.
- Communicate with students, faculty, and families to ensure the highest quality educational experience for our students
- Assess student performance formally and informally to meet the school’s standards and benchmarks and communicate this to the support staff and Principal.
- When appropriate, the teachers will collaborate to plan integrated and/or interdisciplinary units that support the instructional objectives of both curricular areas.
- Collaborate alongside other faculty members, support staff, and administration to be a part of a thoughtful and dynamic educational team.
- Use assessment and evaluation to guide instructional decisions; maintain accurate, up-to-date records and communicate results to students, parents, and appropriate others in a timely manner with regard to student progress and performance.
- Use a project based learning approach, when appropriate
- Use a STEM model with a focus on the engineering and design process, when appropriate
- Perform professional duties efficiently, manage resources effectively, and meet deadlines set by the school.
- Share in the supervision of duties outside of the classroom, including lunch, recess, and end of the day
- Attend all faculty meetings, required trainings, and after-school events
- Work with our committed and spirited faculty to continue mapping, developing, and implementing the school’s curricular initiatives
- Respect and learn about all forms of observance and maintain the open and thoughtful environment to multiple perspectives so coveted by our teachers, families, and students
Reports to: Head of School
We are looking for someone with a passion for what for what they do and a commitment to strong communication with teachers, students, and parents. We look forward to meeting and speaking with any qualified candidate.
How to Apply
To apply: Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org , subject line “General Studies Elementary.”
- Date Posted: March 6, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 06/01/2020