St. Paul Christian Academy
Elementary Art Teacher & Theater Assistant
St. Paul Christian Academy
St. Paul Christian Academy in Nashville seeks an innovative and collaborative Art educator to teach students in junior kindergarten through sixth grade.
The faculty and staff at St. Paul work diligently to know students and discover their gifts. The school offers a well-rounded curriculum of which Art is a very important part. The Art teacher will be expected to discover the gifts that lie within each child and create a space for them to explore their creative side.
This person will work on a team of co-curricular teachers and will collaborate with grade-level homeroom teachers. Art education needs to be woven into the fabric of the St. Paul program. This person needs to be passionate about student-centered learning and be committed to combining the power of forward-thinking skill development with the purposeful integration of research-based learning.
This Art teacher will teach all 3rd – 6th grade students. Fifth and sixth-grade students will have Art (in elective form) each day. Third and fourth-grade students have Art one time each week.
The Art teacher/Theater Assistant will be expected to:
- Collaborate and create with a team of co-curricular and core curriculum professionals to enhance common artistic goals and educational experiences.
- Share a room and work in close collaboration with the Lower School Art Teacher (JK-2)
- Plan, prepare, and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning
- Work with the Arts Department Chair to plan, and execute, the end-of-year Art Showcase. (a school-wide display and celebration of art in our classrooms)
- Develop our advanced art students to complete a capstone art project
- Introduce Art History at the appropriate elementary level
- Introduce Artist studies at the appropriate elementary level
- Use a variety of mediums and methods for instruction and projects
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate
- Include a variety of teaching methodologies including multiple modalities of instruction.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing community norms that support core values and procedures.
- Responsibilities inherent in teaching elementary-aged children using a developmentally appropriate curriculum and fostering positive social skills and community core values.
- Work with the Grade Level Teams to discuss and plan activities and student progress.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Work under the Theater Director for the spring musical and other dramatic arts programs throughout the year. This position will lead set building and other assignments given by the Theater Director
Knowledge, Skills, and Physical Requirements:
- BFA or BA degree required in Art, Art Education, Education, or a similar field required.
- Art teaching experience preferred
- Independent school teaching experience preferred.
- Must be visionary, with the belief that creating Art is integral to the development of a child.
- Must be willing to work to develop a more comprehensive elementary Visual Arts curriculum.
- Must be able to work with other professionals to align curriculum across divisions.
St. Paul offers a comprehensive benefits package for its employees.
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and statement of faith to Kim Jones. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Posted: November 18, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 01/08/2024
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.