YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee
Domestic Violence Specialist-Evenings
YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee
- Position responds to incoming calls on the YWCA 24-hour crisis & support helpline providing emotional support, resources and safety planning, when appropriate.
- This position requires a high level of compassion, empathy, and sensitivity to all callers and shelter residents.
- Hours: Monday-Friday 3:00pm-11:30pm
Relationships and Contacts:
Within the organization: Maintains frequent and professional working relationships with staff throughout the organization including peers, directors, senior, and executive management.
Outside the organization: Maintains frequent and professional working relationships with shelter clients, visitors, and volunteers.
- Assesses the need of callers for emergency shelter, determines eligibility for intake, and develops transportation plan to shelter.
- Provides supportive interactions and information on the dynamics of domestic violence to shelter residents.
- Maintains accurate and confidential records for each client, documenting resident behaviors, incidents, interactions, and progress in a consistent and ethical manner on a daily basis.
- Conducts intake, orientation, exit interviews, and safety planning with shelter residents in an appropriate/timely manner.
- Monitors building status and cleanliness, reporting malfunctions and ensuring the building is kept clean.
- Identifies barriers to success for clients and makes appropriate referrals.
- Monitors resident activity throughout the shelter and manages conflict through appropriate intervention.
- Monitors and secures physical environment to maximize the safety of residents, implementing appropriate reactions to security threats as needed.
- Develops an understanding of agency and program policies and procedures, implementing appropriately and interpreting to residents and volunteers.
- Manages and maintains the rotating holiday residential coverage.
- Provide support to visitors and volunteers.
- Conducts client meetings as needed to share information and build community.
- Conduct weekly room inspections, noting the status of the building and filing appropriate work orders.
- Attends program staff meetings, in-service training sessions, YW All Staff, and other meetings as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent and minimum of six months related experience required.
- Bachelor’s in counseling or a related mental health field preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to communicate with peers/general public, clients, and/or vendors.
- Must be able to tolerate various noise levels: noise level in the work environment varies – may be very quiet or extremely loud.
- Job performance will require the ability to move throughout the building as well as sit or remain stationary for extended periods of time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to talk or hear, sit, stand, walk, reach, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, taste or smell.
- The employee must be able to move 25 pounds.
- Proficiency in Spanish or other languages preferred.
- Ability to react immediately, yet calmly, to crisis situations and quickly build rapport with callers.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate needs and information.
- Demonstrate compassion and understanding for people dealing with potentially life-threatening situations and be able to assess serious issues.
- Sensitivity to the needs of survivors of domestic violence and their children.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Resourceful, creative, and problem solver.
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills analyzing problems and presenting solutions to various staff and clients.
- High follow-through and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated respect for and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Strong belief in the YWCA and ability to convey its importance.
YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the organization desires. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “At-Will.” The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.
Eliminating racism and empowering women is the mission of YWCA Nashville. Work with us and receive:
- 10 Paid Holidays *Employer Paid Medical *Employer Paid Long Term Disability *Parental Leave
- 2 Floating Holidays *Employer Paid Vision *Employer Paid $25K Life *Health Reimbursement
How to Apply
For faster consideration, please use the link below to apply:
- Date Posted: September 7, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 09/04/2023
- Salary Range: $19.00
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk