Director of Youth Ministries
East End United Methodist Church
Director of Youth Ministries will develop and oversee the programs for youth (5th-12th grade), which includes weekly Sunday School, United Methodist Youth Gatherings on Sunday Evenings, and other special programming and retreats such as Warmth in Winter, Rest Retreat, Human Sexuality Weekend, and Confirmation. The Director of Youth Ministries shall seek to foster a vital education program through building relationships with youth and their families, staff and church leaders that strengthens their commitment to the church and growth in faith in Jesus Christ.
The Youth Ministry Director position requires flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. The position is part time and salaried based upon twenty-five to thirty (25-30) hours per week. The actual number of hours required during any given week are those needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. It is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year. The Director shall attend weekly Program Team meeting and monthly Staff meeting, as well as worship at services on Sunday. (These meetings and worship are currently conducted virtually and this position is part of the planning and implementation of virtual ministries.)
1. Provide a safe and welcoming space for youth, family and volunteers
2. Implement a Christian Education program that contributes to the spiritual development of youth
3. Develop programs that empower youth and their families in spiritual formation
4. Empower church members to take ownership of youth ministries and connectional opportunities
5. Empower and educate volunteers to serve with professional standards appropriate for a diverse congregation.
6. Work with Children’s Director to develop a Children and Youth Ministry strategic plan that supports the mission and vision of East End UMC.
7. Participate in the preparation and development of the budget for the Children and Youth Ministry.
8. Maintain Safe Sanctuary procedure and train all volunteers on appropriate communication, contact, and relationship with youth, including appropriate language to use with LGBTQIA+ youth and parents.
The Director of Youth Ministry plays a major role in the faith development of all ages within the church, both as a leader and as an example. East End UMC seeks a person who has a strong theological base, understands the needs of a transitional urban neighborhood, has experience and/or is willing to learn the United Methodist tradition, and who has a strong love for and desire to nurture youth and their families in the Christian faith. We seek a person who generates new ideas and programs and who values a team concept of ministry.
1. A degree or background in theology or education, preferably
2. An open mind to continued learning
3. Spiritual maturity and ministry experience
4. A sense of call and a passion for working with youth
5. Friendly, enthusiastic, and flexible team approach while working with youth, parents, staff, and church members
6. Good organizational, communication, teaching, administration and computer skills
7. An understanding of child and adolescent development and age appropriate educational practices for children and youth
8. Ability to relate to children and youth and foster bonds of trust through maintaining appropriate boundaries
9. Hold a valid driver’s license and be 5 years older than the oldest member of the Youth Group per Safe Sanctuaries Policy
How to Apply
Please send your resume’ and cover letter/email to Jen Austin at Office@EastEndUMC.org
- Date Posted: March 19, 2020
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 05/04/2020
- Working Hours: 25-30hr/wk, including some evening & weekend hrs