Adventure Science Center
Director of Operations
Adventure Science Center
Position Title: Director of Operations
Reports To: CEO/President
FLSA Classification: Exempt/ 40 Hours per week
Date Written/Revised: October 11, 2023
With over 75 years of service, Adventure Science Center endeavors to be a “must-see” destination for visitors of all ages in Nashville and greater Tennessee. The science center is a learning hub, inspiring the next generation of creative and confident problem solvers. Our mission is to open every mind to the wonders of science and technology, fostering a better understanding of ourselves and the world around us.
The Director of Operations is responsible for the leadership of Guest Services, Gift Shop, IT, and Facilities departments. Direct responsibilities include management of guest service, gift shop and facilities staff, project management, and other financial and operational aspects as assigned. This position reports to the CEO/President.
- Lead key earned income business operations, including general admission, retail, and food service.
- Monitor performance and maintain key metrics of earned income programs (general admission, gift shop, and food service). Identify trends and recommend adjusting efforts to ensure guest satisfaction and achievement of revenue goals. Report metrics to relevant stakeholders.
- Based on identified insights, design and implement systems that improve the efficiency of departmental functions.
- Work with the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and Chief Business Officer to establish pricing protocols and processes that optimize revenues for the entire organization, considering community accessibility, and providing a clear, consistent approach to pricing strategy. Acts as the Recommender in the RAPID model for pricing proposals and changes.
- Guide strategy of discounts and promotions with the Vice President of Marketing & Communications and Chief Business Officer. Ensure consistency across the organization’s fee-based offerings.
- Ensure other departments are using point of sales software and database effectively, including training new staff.
- Create three (3) a year business plan that supports attendance, participation, and revenue goals of the science center.
- Evaluate and direct short and long-term strategic and operational planning of general admission and gift shop.
- Lead and manage direct reports through consistent communication and establishment of accountabilities.
- Develop and review department budgets with direct reports.
- Direct and motivate staff to maintain a positive, upbeat environment that aligns with ASC’s culture.
- Serve as a member of the center’s Executive Leadership Team, providing strategic guidance and input in key areas of the overall museum’s operations and long-range vision.
- Champion excellent customer service.
Facilities and Building
- Supervise Facilities Manager
- Serve on the Safety Committee
- Oversee and monitor safety and security protocols.
- Guide implementation of guest and staff safety strategy, policy, and procedures with Facilities Manager and other key team members.
- Develop and review the ongoing 5-year capital improvements and major maintenance plans and oversee the implementation while working with finance to determine funding.
General Admission and Retail Services
- Supervise Guest Services Manager
- Set annual admission goals, including individual and group admission
- Oversee guest entry, check-in strategy, and guest welcoming experience, including lobby configuration, lobby and building signage (printed signs and digital screens), and sales priorities at check-in in coordination with Marketing and Facilities.
- Work with Marketing to develop and implement an acquisition strategy, including identifying target audiences and external advertisement campaigns.
- Act as a point of contact for onsite food merchant(s), coordinating with the events team on catering as needed; and developing an optimal food service strategy (location and nature of food service to optimally serve guests’ needs).
- Maintain relationships with community members to have multiple vendors in our portfolio.
- Manage relationships with external service providers to ensure IT needs are being met in a timely manner.
- Work with the Chief Business Officer on purchasing new equipment as needed
- Maintain the stagey infrastructure in both front and back of the house.
- Coordinate IT committee.
- Demonstrates exceptional understanding of customer service principles and techniques. Sets high-quality expectations for the team by setting clear guest/member-centric guidelines and modeling exemplary attitudes toward the development of relationships with members and guests.
Other Duties as Needed
- A Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field of study is preferred.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of demonstrated expertise in managing staff and directing operational performance.
- Expertise with point of sales software and databases, as well as Microsoft Office suite. Blackbaud Altru experience is a plus.
- Experience with developing budgets and writing business plans.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate, mobilize, and manage effective teams.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted.
While we’ve listed our ideal qualifications, we value individual competence, experience, and enthusiasm for our mission. We encourage all who think they are a good match for the role to apply.
We are playful and passionate experimenters
We think big, embrace risk, and evolve our ideas in order to lead.
We are collaborative with each other and our whole community.
We foster diversity, curiosity, and creativity to make our experience unique.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Free onsite parking
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- HSA with Employer Match
- Vacation Time, Sick Time, and Personal Days, plus 11 paid holidays a year
- 401(k) with Employer Match
- Complimentary membership to Adventure Science Center
- Free or discounted admission to local venues including The Nashville Zoo, The First Art Museum, Nashville Shores, Cheekwood Estate and Gardens, and more!
- Employee Assistance Program (Free Counseling and Legal Services)
- Eligibility for Public Student Loan Forgiveness
Adventure Science Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is intended to be a description of the general nature and level of work to be performed. This position profile should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this position. These responsibilities and duties are subject to change at any time based on organizational needs.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Electronic submission is required for all materials. To expedite processing, please place “Director of Operations” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications received, we will only contact candidates selected for interviews.
- Date Posted: October 16, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 12/04/2023
- Salary Range: $80,000-$82,500
- Working Hours: Primarily M-F, 8:30a-5:00p; Some evenings and weekends