National Museum of African American Music
Director of Finance
National Museum of African American Music
The Director of Finance will manage all financial matters. The Director of Finance will support the Executive Leadership of NMAAM to ensure long-term financial stability, expand creative capacity, and enhance overall organizational reputation. The Director of Finance oversees the Finance and Accounting staff, manages relationships with the company’s banking, lending, and financial service partners, coordinates the annual audit and audit planning process, and collaborates on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cost-benefit analysis, forecasting needs and the securing of new funding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the annual budget preparation and makes regular presentations about NMAAM finances to the Board and its various committees.
- Institute a rigorous financial planning and analysis process in evaluating museum and staff performance meeting goals and determining areas of potential revenue enhancement, cost reduction, program improvement, and policy change.
- Oversee treasury management and collaborate with endowment investment consultant; direct investment policies and procedures and update monthly/quarterly investment reports.
- Directs policies and procedures related to NMAAM’s fixed assets; revenue and cash flow management; endowment and long-term financing needs; real estate portfolio (leases, rents, and financing); insurance and risk management; purchasing; employee benefits; and organization-wide cost/benefit analyses.
- Direct, manage, and improve NMAAM’s financial reporting process in order to deliver complete and accurate monthly financial reports and an efficient audit process leading to an unqualified opinion.
- Directs and manages NMAAM’s budgeting and cash management processes to fund operations, maximize investments, and increase efficiency.
- Manage the production of all financial reports, including monthly financial statements.
- Directs the annual budgeting process.
- Review and analyze the monthly NMAAM financial performance.
- Manage cash flow and debt financing.
- Review the annual audit and control income/expenses.
- Review the preparation of the 990-tax return.
- Steward risk management.
- Work with the Development team to create annual and long-term fundraising goals that support the operating and program expenditure budgets.
- Work with department managers to establish museum-wide long-range goals and plans; ensure that the day-to-day functioning of the museum meets and furthers short and long-range plans.
- Acts as an administrator for the retirement plan, overseeing the defined contribution retirement plans.
- Assess and manage risks, monitor claims, and ensure adequate coverage for all aspects of Museum operations, as well as the collections.
- Ensure that the financial management system, chart of accounts, and internal control systems are properly designed and maintained; and provide timely information.
- Ensure that the key transaction systems are regularly reconciled to the general ledger.
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as a leader to ensure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Business Administration or a related field; Masters preferred
- Minimum ten years in senior-level administration and/or financial management
- Non-profit experience / Board leadership a plus
- Demonstrated team building and management experience in a non-profit environment, preferably working within dynamic cultural organizations
- Excellent planning, financial management, and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiar to proficient with Blackbaud/Financial Edge enterprise software
- Experience with reporting and accounting systems
- Significant experience working with external boards and committees
- In-depth knowledge of financial strategies
- Proven leadership and management capabilities
- Able to schedule and complete multiple short-term and long-term objectives
- Supports the mission, vision, and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Conducts self in a professional manner; maintains appropriate professional appearance.
- Follows and supports policies and procedures of NMAAM.
- Evaluate own performance and assume responsibility for professional development.
- Participates as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- Provides proactive, creative cross-functional thinking and ideas to enhance service to customers.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with others; maintains confidentiality.
- Participates in meetings or events as needed.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal, organizational, time management, and leadership skills.
- Creativity and self-initiative.
- An ongoing commitment to training in both areas of soft and technical skills to maintain current skills and knowledge.
- Proven computer and software use skills, especially MS Office.
- Ability to gain the confidence and respect of donors, board members, and staff.
- Experience in handling confidential information and maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present.
This position is eligible for the management incentive plan and enhanced paid time off benefits.
What We Offer for Full-Time Staff:
- Employer-subsidized Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage options
- Healthcare Savings Account
- Employer Paid Short-Term Disability Coverage
- Voluntary Supplemental Life and Long-Term Disability
- Employer-Paid Convenient Care Plus Telemedicine Program
- NMAAM Retirement Readiness 401(k) Plan – employer matched, safe harbor – 100% match for the first 3% of the contribution, 50% match for the next 2% of the contribution. The maximum match is 4% on a 5% employee contribution.
- Employer-Paid Employee Assistance Program (Free Counseling and Work/Life Services)
- Eligibility for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 24/7 On-Site Subsidized Parking
- Amplify Museum Store Discount (Full and part-time)
- Free or Discounted Entry to Local Venues including Cheekwood, Frist Art Museum, Country Music Hall of Fame, and more!
- Discounts to Fifth and Broadway merchants and restaurants and preferred rates at many local hotels
How to Apply
To apply, please click here: Director of Finance – National Museum of African American Music – Career Page (applytojob.com)
- Date Posted: October 4, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 10/30/2023
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F