Director of Development and Marketing
Center for Nonprofit Management
The Center for Nonprofit Management (CNM) is recruiting for a dynamic senior leader to join the executive team. This position offers a unique opportunity for a sector leader with program and leadership experience to shape the nonprofit sector in Middle Tennessee.
As the go to organization in Nashville, Tennessee supporting nonprofits, CNM amplifies the impact of nonprofits and their partners. We believe that thriving nonprofits are essential to creating a strong, equitable and connected community. But how can nonprofits thrive when we’re stretched thin and lacking time, dollars, and resources? At CNM, our mission is to equip organizations with the information and resources they need to make a difference. We connect nonprofits to expertise, partnerships, and tools that will enable them to focus on their mission, all day, every day. From professional development and consulting matches to special events, such as the nation’s largest nonprofits awards ceremony ‘Salute to Excellence’ we foster learning and connections. In addition, we host peer-to-peer learning events for CEOs, young professionals, and affinity groups. CNM serves as a multi-faceted resource for nonprofit leadership and staff. For thirty-five years, we have worked to help nonprofits build and sustain successful business models, to strengthen their organizational capacity and increase their impact.
The Director of Development and Marketing leads CNM’s support functions (fundraising, marketing) and special events (Salute to Excellence, Town Halls, CEO Conversations, and YNP). This role partners with the leadership team to strengthen and drive CNM’s charitable income, mainly through corporate and foundation partnerships for programmatic support and event sponsorship. This role maximizes CNM’s brand awareness through marketing best practices, including leading internal and external support for media partnerships, digital strategy, impactful messaging and design, and video production. This role serves as the staff liaison to CNM’s Board of Directors development committee.
The Director of Development and Marketing works under the supervision of the Chief Partnerships Officer, serves on the Leadership Team, and works with the Board of Directors and other staff to ensure the overall success of the organization.
- With the Chief Partnership Officer and President and CEO, develop, lead, and execute on annual development plan:
- Directs annual contributed revenue goals for all programs, events, initiatives, and operational needs.
- Maintains and grows an active portfolio of current funders and cultivate diverse funding sources. Coordinates relationship responsibilities with CEO, board, and others as needed.
- Leads the development of sponsorship benefits and packages. Creates partnership proposals, writes and prepares grant proposals.
- Creates and tracks budgets, meeting submission guidelines and deadlines as required. Ensures accurate data processing and acknowledgement of gifts and related fundraising activity, track in donor database.
- Partners with CNM’s Board of Directors, in particular the Development Committee.
- Manages development operations with the support of the Membership Coordinator.
- Directs strategic marketing and communication efforts:
- Oversees and coaches Senior Manager of Marketing and Special Events.
- Develops and implements an annual integrated strategic marketing and communications plan to advance CNM’s strategic priorities across key internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops and implements content strategy and editorial calendar across website, social media, blog and email marketing platforms. Create, write, and publish dynamic content in accordance with brand guidelines.
- Supports all staff by providing marketing thought leadership in developing responsive, creative strategies that align with partner/donor/sponsor objectives.
- Oversees publicity and media relations efforts to promote the agency. Cultivate and maintain key media relationships and strategic partnerships.
- Manages external creative, media and web development vendors to ensure optimal delivery of scope of work.
- Directs planning and execution of special events, including Salute to Excellence:
- Provides strategic direction for monthly Town Halls, CEO Conversations, and YNP events in partnership with the Senior Manager of Marketing and Special Events
- Leads staff toward success in Salute to Excellence, CNM’s signature event and the nation’s largest nonprofit awards ceremony.
- Ensures support logistics (fundraising, marketing, budgeting) are moving forward for successful events, focusing on increasing revenue, brand awareness and attendance.
- Participates in agency leadership and alignment efforts:
- Participates as a member of Leadership Team, supporting the overall success of the organization and alignment of activities to strategic priorities.
- Participates as a full member of the CNM team, adhering to and exemplifying our core values.
- Aligns and maximizes quantitative and qualitative data with CNM’s database and dashboard standards.
Education and Experience
The most competitive candidates will possess:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in nonprofit management or related fields preferred (CFRE, Marketing, Business, Liberal Arts etc.)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in relationship building, fundraising, branding, and marketing; nonprofit experience preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of direct supervisory experience required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
The most competitive candidates will demonstrate:
- Fundraising and/or sales
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and a CRMs
- Technical skills in visual composition including some experience in design software
- Versed in a variety of communication and marketing platforms
- Understanding of digital marketing strategies
- Budget creation and management
- Interpersonal relationship management
- Grant writing and proposal creation
- Budget forecasting and business development
- Strong brand management, marketing, communication (written and verbal), and public relations skills, including aesthetic eye
- Team management
- Adeptly navigate a range of stakeholder relationships
- Ability to lead and mentor team members to improve their performance
- Strong attention to detail with a positive, problem-solving approach
- Proven ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to provide excellent customer service in all interactions representing CNM
- Able to produce quality written communication
- Understanding of all major media platforms
- Experience with and an understanding of the role of nonprofit organizations and the nonprofit sector
- Agility and decision quality
- Planning, priority setting
- Persuasive written and verbal communication
- Political savvy
To apply for the position, please submit a resume and cover letter expanding on your interest and qualifications to email@example.com. Phone calls will not be accepted. Priority will be given to submissions received by March 4, 2022.
How to Apply
Working at CNM
The salary range is $65,000-$70,000 and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The FLSA status is full time and exempt. Additionally, CNM offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, disability insurance and retirement planning options.
- Date Posted: February 21, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Community Development
- Salary Range: $65,000-$70,000
- Working Hours: Monday - Friday, 8AM to 4:30PM