The Next Door, Inc.
Director of Development
The Next Door, Inc.
Job Title: Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Full time, exempt
Education: 4 yr. degree +
Travel %: 5% (for donor cultivation in Chattanooga)
Job Shift: Day
Job Category: Healthcare
The Next Door (TND) provides a continuum of evidence-based substance abuse and mental health services for women in an environment of faith and healing to restore hope and a lifetime of recovery.
The Director of Development will lead The Next Door’s fundraising efforts and provide leadership and support to a team of development staff members. Together, this team has oversight of fundraising events, community outreach, church / corporate partnerships, volunteer programs, grant writing and major donor cultivation. The funding sources of The Next Door are private individuals, church congregations, foundations, grants, corporations, and fundraising events.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties include the following:
- Plan, implement and evaluate the development strategy to ensure The Next Door raises its annual operating budget and meets its fundraising goals each year.
- Engage and maximize involvement from Executive Directors, Board members and other key members of TND staff team.
- Equip and support the development team members to meet and exceed job goals and roles.
- Provide supervision to the development team which includes three full time employees and one contract staff member:
- Community Outreach and Events Coordinator – responsible for church outreach, corporate relationships and all event planning for TND.
- Marketing and Communications Coordinator – responsible for all internal and external communication (print and online materials), social media and marketing strategies (for development and business development).
- Development and Volunteer Coordinator – responsible for recruiting, screening, training and placing volunteers in meaningful roles to support TND operations and enhance the client experiences as well as development support (including data entry of donations received, processing thank you notes, outcome tracking, RSVPs and other event support, etc.)
- Contract Grant Writer – responsible for all written fundraising appeals, which includes grant applications, charitable giving requests as well as reporting on outcomes.
- Create, implement and evaluate strategies for significantly broadening and deepening the base of support for The Next Door from major donors.
- Develop yearly relationship building plans for donors based upon research to determine “ask amounts” and areas of interest and focus; ensure monthly contact and communication with each person to build and strengthen relationships with the goal of securing financial support for The Next Door.
- Develop and implement strategies to identify other potential major donors through research, personal connections, relationships of current major donors, etc.
- Develop and implement strategies to assist others (i.e. Eds, Board members and others) as they strengthen and build relationships with major donors and major donor candidates.
- Ensure follow up with major donors after they make a contribution to ensure that they understand how their gifts are being invested and to encourage continued and increased giving in the future.
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategies for significantly broadening and deepening the base of support from individual givers, to achieve an increase in the number of individual donors as well as the total gift amounts of current individual donors.
- Develop, implement and evaluate programs to recognize and show appreciation to donors so they fully understand how their gifts are being utilized and invested and share the joy of knowing that they are changing lives as a result of their financial support.
- Work closely with TND’s Board of Directors, which includes presentations at quarterly board meetings, Next Generation Board meetings and conducting regular meetings with the Board Development Committee.
- Serve as a member of TND’s Leadership team and assist with the annual strategic plan and organizational changes.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience required
- Minimum of five years of proven fundraising experience in a non-profit organization
- Previous experience managing a department budget.
- Previous experience with staff supervision/management.
- Required computer skills with Microsoft Office, Donor database, and Social media platforms, etc.
- Excellent relational skills and effective communicator with one on one and large group settings
- BCBST Insurance-3 options offered, 2 of which are HSA-eligible and include an HRA
- Dental Insurance
- Vision insurance
- Teledoc paid at 100% by TND
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) paid 100% by TND
- Long-term disability paid 100% by TND
- Ability to participate in the 401k retirement plan after a 6-month waiting period (with free financial advisor assistance as desired). TND provides a partial match to employee contributions.
- $25,000 Life and Accidental Death or Dismemberment policy paid 100% by TND
- PTO earned per pay period; accrual up to 120 hours in the first year
- Six paid holidays plus one floating holiday
- 24 hours of Professional Development per year
How to Apply
To apply go to Thenextdoor.org and click on Careers (bottom left) or follow the link below.
- Date Posted: September 12, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 09/30/2022