Urban Housing Solutions, Inc.
Director of Development
Urban Housing Solutions, Inc.
The Director of Development reports directly to the Managing Director of Urban Housing Solutions (UHS). With over 1,400 apartments in Nashville, UHS is a leading nonprofit provider of affordable housing in Tennessee. The primary responsibility of the Director of Development is to build and maintain a pipeline of real estate development projects and to supervise the execution of those projects from initial conception through construction, to lease-up and stabilized occupancy. Success in this position will be measured in terms of the scale, quality, pace, and financial performance of the development portfolio as well as the effectiveness, growth, and professional well-being of the Development team staff. The Director of Development also has responsibility for enhancing critical external relationships to expand UHS business development opportunities, to assist with the quality control of existing operations, and to help UHS create examples for other developers in the region.
- Creates and sustains a robust real estate development pipeline consistent with UHS’s mission and strategic goals.
- Works with the Managing Director to identify acquisition opportunities, develop acquisition and/or development funding options, and evaluate overall project feasibility.
- Oversees the negotiation of all major agreements and financing documents, including limited partnership agreements, loan documents, construction contracts, architectural agreements, and property management agreements.
- Directs, trains, and supports the Development team through all aspects of real estate development operations, including:
- securing acquisition, predevelopment, construction, and permanent financing;
- securing entitlements;
- building community support and working with various internal and external stakeholder groups to define each project’s target population and unit mix, design recommendations, and supportive services, as needed;
- supervising architects, consultants, property managers, contractors, and other development team members; and
- monitoring development, construction, and lease-up processes.
- Monitors overall progress of projects in terms of budgets and timelines.
- Works closely and effectively with the Development and Community Resources teams.
- Works with the Managing Director to report to the Board of Directors on the progress of development projects and to request approval of new projects.
- With the support of the Managing Director, creates departmental policies and procedures that promote high quality products and an effective work environment.
- Works with the Asset Management team to analyze and continuously improve building design and performance standards.
- Builds and maintains positive and effective relationships with external partners, including: investors; lenders; public agencies (e.g., THDA, MDHA); community organizations (e.g., Civic Design Center); and consultants, such as general contractors, architects, and others.
- Maintains a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Works with the Managing Director to advocate for public policy, programs, and funding that support and expand affordable housing.
- Serves as a visible and effective spokesperson for the organization and its projects.
- Ten (10) years or more experience in housing development, business, finance, urban planning or a related field – preferably for a nonprofit, government agency, or private financial institution;
A relevant post-graduate degree with seven (7) years or more experience in housing development, business, finance, urban planning, or a related field.
- Experience in all aspects of the development process, including planning, permitting, design, construction, underwriting, and finance.
- Proven ability to oversee the structuring of complex financial transactions to maximize both social and financial returns and manage corporate risk.
- Experience closing Low Income Housing Tax Credit funded projects.
- Several years of progressive responsibility in affordable housing development, including experience providing supervision of development staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team-building spirit; able to work closely and effectively with others within the organization.
- Supports diversity to ensure multi-talented team strengths; promotes a spirit of inclusion.
- Identifies employee opportunities for growth.
- As a public speaker, comfortable with a wide variety of audiences.
- Good presentation skills (PowerPoint, etc.) and excellent written communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to problem-solving.
- Resilient, versatile, and flexible.
- Committed to the mission of providing affordable homes and supportive services to Nashville’s most vulnerable populations.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, with excellent analytical skills.
- Proficient in sophisticated real estate financial analysis using Excel and other digital platforms for collaboration and project coordination.
- Physical ability to visually assess and physically inspect all floors of multi-story properties without an elevator required.
- Job will include some evening and weekend hours.
UHS offers all full-time employees health insurance, a 401K plan with an employer match, paid holidays, paid time-off, and mileage reimbursements; and offers salaried employees flexible work hours.
How to Apply
Please send an email and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and use “Director of Development” in the subject line.
- Date Posted: March 8, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 04/05/2021
- Salary Range: 85000
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk