Backfield in Motion, Inc.
Director of Development
Backfield in Motion, Inc.
Backfield in Motion is a non-profit organization that focuses on education through mastery of literacy and numeracy skills for at-risk students that leads to a high school diploma, a foundation for higher education, and on the job skills needed to enter the world of work while using athletics as an incentive for academic improvement.
Backfield in Motion seeks an experienced Director of Development who is creative and goal-oriented, with a background in grants and major gifts. This individual will possess a wide variety of skills and be comfortable taking a hands-on approach to development areas. The DD is a strategic thinker ready to help grow this nonprofit advocating for at-risk kids and their families. This professional works closely with the Executive Director and the VP of Operations. The DD will advance Backfield’s work in Motion and its vision to Educate, Engage, and Empower at-risk students to reach their maximum potential, intellectually, socially, and emotionally while becoming significant contributors to an ever-changing society by creating and executing a comprehensive development plan. They will develop an overall strategy in conjunction with leadership, oversee donor stewardship, including outreach and recognition, and execute annual events and campaigns supporting the mission.
The Director of Development will be knowledgeable of philanthropy, successful in proposal development and reporting, effective in solicitation at all levels, capable in implementing a systems approach including moves management, personable in major donor and trustee relations, and driven to expand the support needed for the mission of Backfield in Motion.
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
- Develop and implement an annual fundraising plan
- Oversee the development budget and all aspects of fundraising
- Implement systems for development data and processes
- Maintain a calendar of all solicitations (grant and individual) and reporting deadlines
- Procure grants through public and private entities
- Oversee grants management
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors
- Report to Executive Director and work with Board Committee
- Work with staff on brand building and message effectiveness.
- In conjunction with the ED and Board Committee, plan and execute annual events for donors and diverse stakeholders.
- Engage key constituents in support of Backfield in Motion – major corporations, individuals, local businesses, and grantmakers
- Personally engage in major gift solicitation and create opportunities and follow up for the Executive Director
- Proven ability to create and build infrastructure to leverage fundraising success
- Minimum of 2 years of development experience, with a broad knowledge of the various aspects of philanthropy
- Ability to build infrastructure for a small nonprofit
- Success in achieving measured goals
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Track record of innovation and strategic work
- Demonstrated ability to be self-sufficient and to work in teams
- Knowledge of donor management software
- Knowledge of social media platforms and use of such platforms to drive revenue
- Ability to actively listen to all constituents, with a special focus on donor needs and how to identify mutual benefits
- Ability to communicate excellently and compel audiences through oral and written presentations.
Salary and Benefits: This position offers a salary range between $50,000 and $62,000 depending on experience, paid time off, and a flexible work environment.
How to Apply
Please attach your resume to a brief cover letter and direct to Dr. Todd Campbell, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject “Director of Development application.” Please include three references in your resume or cover letter and highlight any experiences that might fit our organization.
- Date Posted: January 7, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: $50,000-$62,000