Director of Communications
Tennessee Housing Development Agency
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, APRIL 3, 2020 AT 11:59PM
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Location: Nashville, TN
Salary Grade: 122
Monthly Salary Range Minimum: $7,770
FLSA Classification: Exempt (03)
Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change due to changes in our business processes or other business-related reasons.
POSITION SUMMARY: Oversees the Communications division; in conjunction with Executive staff develops messaging for the organization to support THDA’s business and program objectives; coordinates written and electronic external communication to a variety of audiences including media, program participants, business partners and the general public; coordinates communication to internal staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directly supervises staff; interviews, makes hiring recommendations, and trains employees; makes assignments and monitors work; develops employee skills and encourages growth and development; reviews and evaluates employee performance; addresses workplace issues and provides guidance, coaching, and disciplinary measures for staff; addresses personnel issues in conjunction with appropriate leadership and the Human Resources division.
- Organizes and oversees the Communications Division, assuring effective and efficient work flow.
- Develops and implements messaging for the organization across multiple media outlets.
- Puts communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Oversees and manages market branding for THDA.
- Manages the development and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and programmatic information.
- Oversees style, layout, and content of organization’s external website, intranet, newsletters, advertising, program materials and other publications, news releases, social media, etc.
- Works closely with other agency staff, coordinating the organization’s marketing efforts to educate potential program administrators and program beneficiaries, and to expand the use of THDA programs.
- Generates media opportunities to publicize THDA business and activities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, English or related field.
- Three years of management experience, including direct supervisory experience.
- Three years of experience in public affairs, public relations, media, marketing or other directly related areas.
The above qualifications express the minimum standards of education and/or experience for this position. Other combinations of education and experience, if evaluated as equivalent, may be taken into consideration.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- Ability to effectively manage staff; ability to plan, schedule, and evaluate the work of others; delegate work assignments; set expectations.
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively address all levels within and outside of the organization.
- Communicates effectively and regularly with staff, including staff in planning, decision-making, and process improvement; makes self available to staff.
- Ability to provide strong vision and leadership.
- Demonstrates the ability to build and maintain positive relationships with the organization’s board members, Executive Team, Leadership Team, constituents, partners, staff and the general public.
- Knowledge of philosophy and goals of the organization.
- Knowledge of public and commercial financing and current trends in housing or the ability to quickly become knowledgeable in these areas.
- Ability to effectively interpret relevant laws, agency policies, rules and regulations.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, and convincingly; to address an audience effectively.
- Ability to think creatively and work independently.
- Maintains credibility through sincerity, honesty, and discretion.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities effectively; uses time efficiently; consistently meets deadlines.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality.
- Documents regularly, thoroughly, accurately, and completely.
- Ability to effectively manage complex projects while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Detail oriented, logical, and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Computer literate; proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and the internet; able to effectively adapt to and use other computer systems as needed for daily activities.
The special demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Current, valid driver’s license from domicile state and the ability to drive.
- Occasional in-state and out-of-state travel, including overnight travel.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Full benefits package.
How to Apply
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETE AND RESUME ATTACHED FOR CONSIDERATION
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.THDA.ORG AND FOLLOW THE ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Date Posted: February 25, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Government