Tennessee Arts Commission
Director of Arts Education
Tennessee Arts Commission
The Tennessee Arts Commission seeks a full-time Program Director of Arts Education. Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Grants, this position cultivates the arts for the benefit of all Tennesseans and their communities to prepare students of all ages for success in school, career, and life. Specifically, the position develops and leads grants, programs, and special initiatives associated with Arts Education from vision to implementation. See tnartscommission.org/ for information about the agency.
1. Leads development and administration of state and federal grants to arts organizations, non- arts organizations, schools, and individuals offering arts education projects
2. Designs and executes arts education events, programs, and initiatives such as the Tennessee Arts & Arts Education Conference, Poetry Out Loud State Contest, Tennessee Arts Education Data Project, and Teaching Artist Roster
3. Provides technical assistance to organizations, educators, and communities developing arts education programs and projects
4. Represents the Commission at local, state, regional, and national meetings
5. Acts creatively as part of the Commission team to identify and implement strategies to cultivate the arts for the benefit of all Tennesseans and their communities
6. Supervises Arts Education Special Projects Coordinator and leads staff to deliver Arts Education programs
7. Serves as a resource for arts disciplines that may include dance, music, opera, theatre, visual arts, craft, design arts, photography, media arts, literature, and folklife/traditional arts
8. Generates public support for the arts and arts education
9. Prepares records and reports
Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university and significant professional experience in arts education (in a traditional school setting or nonprofit organization) is desired. A Bachelor’s Degree and three years’ experience in arts education, arts administration, and/or nonprofit management is required. A background in the arts is desired.
Understands state and national policy and trends in arts education and develops strategies to address policy and trends in arts education and community arts learning
Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities and collaborative initiatives, and carry projects through to successful completion
Highly organized and detail oriented required
Experience in managing online databases desired
Grants management and budget experience desired
Exceptional oral and written communication skills
Licensed to operate a motor vehicle and available for travel
Knowledge and ability to utilize office equipment and computer software including Microsoft Office and WordPress
See State of Tennessee Employee Benefits at https://www.tn.gov/careers/employeebenefits.html
How to Apply
Go to the State of Tennessee website: https://www.tn.gov/careers/apply-here.html. Reference Job ID#10737.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
* Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most Commission staff are currently working remotely until further notice. Commission staff will be required to return to work in state office located in Nashville per guidance and directives from the Governor and/or the State of Tennessee.
- Date Posted: August 18, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 11/02/2020
- Salary Range: Salary based on experience. First step of range: $40,380
- Working Hours: 37.5 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:00am - 4:30pm