Walk Bike Nashville
Development & Events Manager
Walk Bike Nashville
Full job description on our website: https://www.walkbikenashville.org/jobs
Do you believe Nashville’s streets should be safe, inclusive, and accessible to all? Are you excited about connecting people to walking and biking opportunities? Do you love to conquer the details and host successful events? Do you have an eye for development opportunities?
Walk Bike Nashville is a 501(c)3 with a mission to make the Nashville area more walkable, bikeable, and liveable. We believe that Nashville’s streets should be safe and accessible to all, and that all Nashvillians should be able to move through our city with dignity,
We are seeking a Development & Events Manager to join our team and lead the planning, execution, and analysis for our large events, and help steer our overall development strategy. Our events are often how many people first interact with our organization — so they are important not just from a fundraising perspective, but also in order to expand our base of supporters. Responsibilities will include planning and executing large events like the Tour de Nash and Open Streets Nashville, coordinating smaller fundraising events, and working with the Executive Director to expand Walk Bike Nashville’s donor and event based fundraising efforts.
This position will play an important role in our organization’s continued effort to execute and build on our Strategic Plan and Anti-Racism Plan, including helping us meet dual goals around raising funds to support our advocacy and programs, and bringing more people into our organization.
Initial projects for this role include
1. Tour de Nash: Walk Bike Nashville hosts the Tour de Nash each May. It is Nashville’s largest urban ride (it’s a ride, not a race!), and one of our largest events. This event has two equally important goals – raising funds to support Walk Bike Nashville’s work, and building a diverse, vibrant bicycling community in Nashville. This event brings together 1,000+ people on one of three different routes. The Development & Events Manager will be responsible for planning for the event, managing the many logistics to put it on, supporting a volunteer team, and ensuring the event is an overall success.
2. Open Streets Nashville: Open Streets Nashville is a program where we temporarily close a street to vehicle traffic in order to open it to people walking, biking, and playing in the street. This program’s goals are to give people a chance to be active in the street, to bring the community together, and to highlight the importance of our streets as places for the community to come together. In 2021 this event will take place on Buchanan Street in North Nashville, in close partnership with the community. Putting on this event will be a collaboration between our Development & Events Manager and our Community Engagement Coordinator. The Development & Events Manager will be responsible for steering the overall logistics of the street closure, supporting engagement activities organized by the community, and ensuring the program runs smoothly on the day of.
3. Plateau to Percy: The Plateau to Percy is a 4-day bike and peer-to-peer fundraising event from Dunlap TN to Nashville TN. This event debuted in 2020, and we hope it will be a central fundraiser for our organization. In 2021 we anticipate 20 riders will participate in the ride – each raising $1,500 for Walk Bike Nashville. The Development & Events Manager will help execute the ride, support the rider’s fundraising efforts, and continue to grow this ride into a successful event.
4. Walk to School Day: Walk to School Day is an international event to celebrate active transportation. Our program includes supporting events at 45+ public schools around Nashville. This position will support our Education team to host Walk to School Day each October.
5. Strategic Development Planning: This position will work with the Executive Director to plan and execute Walk Bike Nashville’s overall development strategy. This will include mapping out ways to build membership and individual donors, strategizing how to expand and support our sponsorship program, and building relationships with new potential donors.
6. Other development related events: This position will also lead execution of other smaller events, including our Streets for People Awards, Membership Party, and Big Payback.
7. Other programs and roles as assigned. Walk Bike Nashville is a small organization and all staff are expected to help with various elements of the organization’s work.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Experience: 3-5+ years previous experience event planning, development, or similar logistics orientated work.
- Knowledge: Knowledge of event planning, development, and/or bicycle riding would all be helpful
- Personal Attributes:
- Desire to engage diverse communities in active transportation, walking and bicycling
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to plan and execute large events
- Ability to manage volunteers and other team members who are supporting events
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to execute plans under tight deadlines
- Comfortable in a business and sponsorship environment
- Ability to represent Walk Bike Nashville at public meetings and events
- Calm under the pressure of managing a large event
- Creative thinker who is excited to help grow our events
- Clear communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Self-motivator who is able and excited to work in less structured environment
- Can work both independently and collaboratively
- Has integrity, dedication, drive, diplomacy
- Preferred Attributes (not required)
- Experience with marketing and/or communication
- Experience with organizing or participating in bike rides
- Experience using Eventbrite, Nationbuilder, Microsoft, and Google Suite
- Experience with design software, including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Knowledge of the biking and walking community in Nashville
- Fluent in Spanish, Kurdish or Arabic
Benefits: Health Insurance; dental insurance; and generous paid time off (all full-time staff start with 15 days paid leave per year, plus all state holidays, plus the week between Christmas and New Years)
Continuing Education: We are committed to supporting the growth of all staff through professional development. We have funds set aside to support staff for this purpose.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, one-page cover letter, and three references to email@example.com. We will not contact your references without your permission.
Please combine all three documents into a single pdf and save with your name and the job you are applying for in the file name.
In your cover letter please explain why you are interested in this position with Walk Bike Nashville, your relevant past experience and qualifications, and what you think you can bring to the Walk Bike team.
We will accept applications on a rolling basis and hope to review most applications before May 20, 2021.
- Date Posted: April 22, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 06/14/2021
- Salary Range: 40000-45000
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk