Development and Database Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Development
Area of Responsibility: Development
Wage Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Position Summary: The Development and Database Coordinator is a key member of the development team, responsible for all aspects of donor database management, donor and gift reporting, creation of acknowledgement letters, data entry, filing/record keeping, in addition to other administrative duties. Through the coordination of data entry and extraction of the database and requisite donor correspondence related to gifts, this role supports many aspects of donor relations for the Development department, including membership, sponsorship, fundraising, stewardship and donor events.
DATA ENTRY AND EXTRACTION
- Collect and maintain all donor and prospect information in the database
- Serve as a “power user” of database, leading staff on constituent record maintenance, data extraction, network upgrades, innovative uses for efficiency and effectiveness, build Fiscal Year and Campaign structures
- Preparation of data (segmentation, extraction) and execution of renewal solicitations as well as specialty campaigns: Giving Tuesday, Year-End, Big Payback, Holiday Magic, Pointe Shoe Fund, Creation Fund, Lobby donation efforts, etc.
- Enter all gifts, pledges, pledge payments and in-kind gifts into donor software within established timeline
- Effectively carry out system for timely and IRS-compatible acknowledgement of gifts and pledges
- Update donor records as needed and keep current with supplemental information, by way of data imports, such as their participation in School of Nashville Ballet, youth casts, attendance at events, assignment of constituency groupings, community engagement, and other critical information
- Work with Events professional to transfer all event-related data to database
- Continual strategic vision to identify ways to use Tessitura or refine in-house processes/practices to improve data sophistication/ability
- Attend Tessitura User Group meetings as Nashville Ballet liaison and continually maintain/improve the standard operating procedures used by all staff
- Set up new staff with Tessitura and Parallels access
REPORTING & RECORD MAINTENANCE
- Assist Director of Development with special data extraction reports as needed
- Route daily cash receipt and pledge receipt reports to finance department
- Assist Development team with creating constituent lists as needed, including invitation lists, appeal recipient lists, etc.
- Manage donor pledge reminders and invoices as needed; manage Delinquency process for Annual Fund, ELEVATE, and Ballet Ball
- Prepare donor listings for performance programs and website
- Create month-end pledge reconciliation reports for Director of Development and CFO review
- Work regularly with the finance department to generate reports necessary for general ledger reconciliation, audit preparation, tax return preparation, data analysis, unusual entries (i.e. Patrons’ Party, First Call, SNB ticket donations, etc.), budget and grant preparation and reporting
- Operate with a virtual 100% accuracy and data-entry integrity
- Possess desire and ability to self-check work
- Regularly demonstrate sound judgment and discretion with confidential information
- Work as part of a team to engage in strategic and purposeful use of Tessitura database to strengthen development practices
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource to all staff regarding data availability, manipulation, and extraction from Tessitura
- Keep all documentation organized to be easily accessible by all users
- Possess a desire to develop a foundational understanding of Development and an appreciation for the importance of donor relations information management
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are a non-exhaustive list of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to handle, feel, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms above the shoulder. The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this document is intended to be an accurate description of the current job, circumstances may require that other, or different tasks be performed (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technological developments).
Work Requirements and Qualifications:
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
2. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Effective project management skills, including setting and meeting deadlines
- Ability to make decisions and creatively solve problems
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Attention to detail
- Aptitude with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and database management, preferably Tessitura
- Above-average knowledge of Excel
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the organization
- Experience: • 2+ years administrative/support experience
- Experience working with major databases and confidential information
- Experience in a nonprofit or arts setting preferred
- Requirements: Ability to work some evenings and weekends for events and performances
Medical, dental, life, 401k, and others offered.
How to Apply
To be considered for the position, please email the items below in one PDF-formatted file with your name as the filename to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Development and Database Coordinator” as the email’s subject line.
- A substantive cover letter including the following information: where you found the position listed, your interest in the position and the organization, the date you are available to start, and contact information for three professional references.
- A résumé no longer than 2 pages outlining your educational and professional experience.
- The following two assignments demonstrating your handling of data:
1. Nashville Ballet is preparing to thank its donors who contributed to the Annual Fund this year (FY22) and send an Annual Fund solicitation letter to those who donated last year (FY21) but not yet this year. Using the below information (“DATA”) as your data source, perform the following:
Import the below data into a spreadsheet to use for a mail merge.
Review your data for inaccuracies, make any data changes necessary for a formal letter.
Identify in your spreadsheet who is receiving a thank you letter and who is receiving a solicitation letter.
Submit in Excel Spreadsheet:
Last Name: Abra
Addressee: Lisa and John Arba
Salutation: Lisa and John Abra
Address: 1 Alpha Lane
FY20 Gift: $100
FY22 Gift: $100
FY22 Gift Date: 10/1/21
FY22 Check Number: 5543
Last Name: Billings
Addressee: Mr. Jose Billings and Mrs. Judy Billings
Salutation: Judy and Jose
Address: 2 Bravo Avenue
FY21 Gift: $500
FY22 Gift Date:
FY22 Check Number:
Last Name: Continental
Addressee: Jenni Parker and Allison Continental
Salutation: Jenni and Allison
Address: 3 Crane Blvd
FY20 Gift: $600
FY21 Gift: $500
FY21 Gift Date: 10/2/22
FY21 Check Number: 584
2. Nashville Ballet is organizing a major campaign to close out the fiscal year. We are looking to engage constituents who have recently attended performances OR are enrolled in School of Nashville Ballet but have not made a charitable contribution in the past two years. The development staff will want to pull a list of constituents from the database that meets these criteria but also provides additional information relevant to paring the list down to “hot” prospects and understanding “who” these individuals are. Submit a document that lists the types of database fields/categories/descriptors you would be interested in seeing exported for this project. There is no one correct answer, please just demonstrate your understanding of donor identification and solicitation and knowledge of/use of database-type information to effectively do so.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered nor will submissions sent via postal mail or fax.
No calls please.
Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to review our website at www.nashvilleballet.com prior to submitting materials for consideration.
Posting Date: April 5, 2022
Deadline for submissions is May 1, 2022. Early submission is strongly encouraged. Our search will be on-going until we are satisfied, we have found a candidate with the right fit for Nashville Ballet.
- Date Posted: April 6, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Arts / Culture