Family & Children's Service
Counselor – STEM Preparatory Academy
Family & Children's Service
Located at STEM Preparatory Academy, the Counselor will provide therapeutic services to students enrolled at STEM Preparatory Academy and their families to maximize family well-being and the academic functioning of those students within the school and the community. The Counselor will utilize a brief, solution focused model to (1) assist individuals and families(including children) with mental health problems identify their needs, strengths and risk factors, and begin to develop a clearer understanding of the nature of their problems and beginning steps to address them, (2) assist individuals and families(including children) develop a mutual treatment plan and agree to a plan of action focusing on such issues as safety and self-care, family stabilization, life transition adjustment, breaking down problems into manageable parts, obtaining medication or psychiatric assessment as needed, grieving past or current losses, and improving communication and other relationship skills, (3) assist individuals or families (including children) make positive changes as they work toward the outcome of improved management or resolution of their mental health problems, and (4) assist individuals or families (including children) in meeting performance targets as detailed in their respective treatment plans. Other service provision of services includes, providing workshops to students and parents on an as needed basis and also provide training and/or consultation to faculty or volunteers on general mental health or therapeutic topics, when needed.
- Provide crisis response and brief, solution focused counseling to students and families when appropriate.
- Refer students and their families, when appropriate, to licensed drug and alcohol treatment centers, domestic violence shelters, and other community treatment centers, or long-term therapeutic service agencies as needed
- Employ a strengths based and participant goal oriented approach in their work to facilitate participant self-empowerment and sufficiency
- Develop and modify treatment plans, as needed, to address the needs of the client.
- Make accurate assessments and develop and implement effective treatment plans.
- Evaluate treatment progress and outcomes with the client during and at the end of treatment.
- Provide ongoing educational/supportive groups as needed
- Coordinate and conduct presentations for orientations or workshops as needed
- Provide in-home therapeutic or supportive services as needed
- Facilitate/Co-facilitate therapeutic groups as needed.
- Establish and maintain an effective treatment relationship with students and their families when providing direct services.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with other mental health providers who may provide services to the students and families at STEM Prep.
- Regular attendance during school hours and reliable transportation required.
This position requires a Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counselor or related field with 2-3 years of working with children and families from diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Licensed or license eligible preferred.
Position is benefits eligible.
How to Apply
Submit resume and salary requirements to:
- Date Posted: September 20, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth