Tennessee Conference of the United Methodist Church
Tennessee Conference of the United Methodist Church
Background: The Tennessee Conference of the United Methodist Church and the Memphis Conference of the United Methodist Church will form the new Tennessee-Western Kentucky Conference of the United Methodist Church on January 1, 2022. The conference’s mission is to discover, equip, connect, and send lay and clergy leaders who shape congregations that offer Christ to a hurting world, one neighborhood at a time.
Summary of the position: The Communications Specialist will provide support to the Director of Communications. The individual in this position assists with content creation for and management of e-newsletter, conference website, and social media accounts; gathers and writes stories of transformation; and participates in strategic communications planning for important conference events, issues, and concerns.
Communications Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Draft weekly conference email newsletters – write copy, pull together links to articles, events, etc.
- Manage social media presence and engagement on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms, including but not limited to creating theologically appropriate posts, sharing news, and creating unique graphics while utilizing the Hootsuite platform.
- Creatively share stories of transformation from our local churches – research and write original content as well as edit submitted content.
- Assist with maintenance of WordPress website – adding events, writing and posting stories, building/updating pages and posts to keep site current.
- Serve as liaison with website developer regarding design, site maintenance and troubleshooting as needed.
- Maintain conference visual assets.
- Coordinate photography for journal, website, and conference events.
- Review and update contact lists; maintain media list (religion writers).
- Conduct online research as needed.
- Collaborate with other strategy teams as assigned and participate as a Communications Strategy Team member.
- Other duties as assigned.
Event Production Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Serve on design teams to plan and conduct the annual conference or other events as assigned.
- Assist annual conference presenters and ensure that presentation on-screen media is formatted to production standards.
- Assist with the production of videos for viewing before and during the annual conference.
- Design and update conference app interface for use at annual conference.
Non-essential Functions: May be required to support the work of other conference leaders, as directed.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in an office environment. The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. The person in this position frequently communicates with the public and other co-workers. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time. Employee must occasionally lift or move office supplies or other items weighing up to 25 pounds. Minimal travel to other conference locations in Middle or West Tennessee and Western Kentucky may be required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Written Communication: Excellent writing and editing skills. Training in reporting and news writing with AP Style preferred.
- Social Media Engagement: Experience maintaining consistent, positive social media presence and engagement for an organization. Ability to utilize Hootsuite or similar platform.
- Marketing: Experience with designing email marketing campaigns and newsletters.
- Website Management: Proficiency with WordPress preferred. HTML helpful.
- Visual Communication: Some experience with photography and videography. Desktop publishing, graphic design, and video editing software experience are a plus.
- Software: Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud Software, and G Suite platform.
- Team mindset: Ability to be a team player and work collaboratively; has a commitment to build covenant with Communications Strategy Team members, staff, and other conference teams as assigned.
- Interpersonal Skills: Capacity to work collegially and develop rapport with a wide variety of diverse individuals and leaders.
- Mission Mindset: Committed to the mission and ministry of the United Methodist Church; commitment to the mission, vision, and values of the TWK Conference; United Methodist background preferred.
- Time Management Skills: Effective and efficient use of time, talent and resources. Proven ability to work independently.
- Dependability: Able to meet deadlines and be reliable.
- Maintain confidences: Commitment to complete confidentiality and high degree of integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two (2) years relevant experience; strong internships may qualify. Prefer background/training in communications, public relations, marketing, or related field.
- Full-time, non-exempt position; hours are typically Monday through Friday, occasional weekend work may be necessary.
- Must be able to work remotely and in the Nashville office.
- Full-time employees are eligible for medical/dental/vision and 403(b) retirement savings plan, as well as vacation time and paid holidays.
- Because of the Conference’s non-profit status, its employees are not eligible for unemployment benefits.
How to Apply
Contact Information and Procedure:
Qualified applicants, please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify that you are applying for Communications Specialist position. Deadline for submission: Friday, September 10, 2021. Job contingent on successful completion of references and background check.
- Date Posted: August 20, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Religious
- Start Date: 10/04/2021
- Salary Range: 19.23/hr-22.00/hr
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:00am - 4:30pm