Dogwood Health Trust
Chief Financial Officer
Dogwood Health Trust
Do you get big things done and create results? Do you thrive on new challenges when there’s no roadmap for where you’re going? Do you have a passion for making a difference in the lives of children and families? Do you want to look back five years from now and know you played a significant role in meaningfully reducing health inequalities? Dogwood Health Trust (DHT) seeks an entrepreneurial Chief Financial Officer (CFO) who loves start-ups and working with high performing teams, has a track record of building strong financial systems from the ground up and getting results, and is passionate about strategically creating and adapting new financial and business models to achieve impact.
Dogwood Health Trust is a $1.5 billion private, health conversion foundation, based in Asheville, North Carolina whose broad mandate is “to dramatically improve the health and well-being of all people and communities of Western North Carolina.” The Trust became operational upon the sale of the assets of Mission Health System to HCA Healthcare in 2018. Dogwood Health Trust seeks to fulfill its mission by addressing what the World Health Organization and other experts call the social determinants of health – factors such as individuals’ early childhood development, education, economic stability, and physical surroundings.
A leadership team is forming which is quickly establishing the Foundation as an impactful place and a philanthropic agent for change, and the CFO will be in the middle of the action. You will have a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play an instrumental role in generating measurable, sustainable change in the health equity and well-being of Western North Carolina residents at the largest healthcare conversion foundation in the United States on a per capita basis. You will work alongside equally talented and motivated colleagues who will be building their own systems, teams, and strategic initiatives from scratch.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in leading transformative projects, for example: participating in the launch of a new company or nonprofit; serving as a key member of a leadership team to create a new product, platform, or service; or achieving breakthrough results against bold objectives such as growth, reach, or impact. You should be comfortable setting and achieving ambitious, quantifiable goals, and be able to document your accomplishments in a clear and compelling fashion.
To steward this dynamic vision, you will need to understand the nuances of public and private funding streams and be adept at guiding decision-making and forecasting around the Trust’s business operations and programmatic opportunities. We will also look to you to be a role model of commitment to social and economic justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion, fostering an internal atmosphere of innovation, purpose, and excellence consistent with the Trust’s core identity and values.
For a full position description, please visit: https://nonprofitprofessionals.com/current-searches-all/dht-cfo
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
Financial and Sector Leadership
- At least 15 years of strategic financial management and supervisory experience overseeing an organization of similar size and scope or larger, as well as its subsidiaries.
- Demonstrated success of building financial infrastructure, systems, and policies from the ground up.
- Ability to develop a clear and strategic operational vision, synthesizing information and translating vision into action steps for the long and short term.
- Clear record of achievement in financial and investment management and experience with the intersection of finance, investment, accounting, and compliance related to private foundation grantmaking and mission-related investing.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in investment oversight and reporting on substantial financial assets comparable to the Trust’s endowment.
- Experience presenting financial risks to senior leadership and developing, collaborating on, and executing mitigation strategies.
- Strong knowledge and skills related to financial accounting and reporting standards such as defined by the Financial Accounting Standards Board or equivalent entities.
- Experience with nonprofits, foundations, and working directly with a private foundation Board of Directors a plus.
- Experience effectively managing relationships with investment consultants and asset managers; experience with mission-related and impact investing is a plus.
- Success in managing, training, developing, and directing finance and accounting staff and functions for a similar sized organization and its subsidiaries; ability to motivate staff to achieve goals through individual and team supervision, performance management, coaching, and professional development.
- Familiarity with the oversight of complex public and private funding streams and compliance and regulatory requirements, and management of diverse organizational indicators.
- Experience with building the kinds of controls, reporting, and forecasting capabilities that will support the creative programming strategies the Trust will pursue.
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Demonstrated success in an entrepreneurial environment and an unwavering commitment to quality and excellence in strategic, operational, and financial management.
- Commitment to the mission-driven sector and the role philanthropy can play in addressing some of society’s most challenging problems.
- A humble approach and servant leader orientation with a willingness to roll up one’s sleeves and pitch in as necessary.
- An optimistic outlook and the humor, integrity, and patience necessary to work within a transformative environment.
More information about the Dogwood Health Trust may be found at: http://www.dogwoodhealthtrust.org/
How to Apply
Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), and where you learned of the position should be sent to: DHT-CFO@nonprofitprofessionals.com. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please type your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail.
Dogwood Health Trust is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Date Posted: March 4, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)