Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary
Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary
Owl’s Hill Nature Sanctuary (OHNS) seeks contracted bookkeeping/accounting services. Typically 2-5 hours/week, with additional hours at fiscal year-end and audit. All applicants must have relevant nonprofit experience, particularly accounting for organizations receiving project funding. Work can be primarily off-site.
The Sanctuary currently operates with an annual budget of ~$400,000 and 4 full-time, 2 part-time and 3 temporary summer camp employees. Private gifts and grants, Day Pass admissions and program fees fund the organization. Our fiscal year is Oct. 1 – Sept. 30.
Timely reconciliation of monthly financials is of the utmost importance to ensure steady cash flow and management decisions by the Board and Executive Director.
Term of Contract – Initial contract will be for 1 year with an option to extend the contract for three (3) additional 1- year contract periods.
- Accounts Receivable: receive and record revenue as dictated by IRS Guidelines and GAAP accounting.
- Accounts Payable: record invoices, prepare checks to maximize cash flow, make payments to vendors meeting due dates, prepare and file annual 1099s
- Maintain costs by program and/or grant designation
- Assist Development staff with Grant Reporting, as needed
- Payroll: enter and process payroll information into QuickBooks Payroll, track Sick/Vacation time used and accrued, pay payroll taxes, transmit 401(k) contributions, prepare year-end W2s.
- Assist with staff benefit enrollments, terminations and changes
- Amortize insurance policies
- Follow Accrual Accounting method for maintaining the books
- Monthly reconciliation of bank, credit, investment accounts and all balance sheet accounts
- Monitor release of restricted funds
- Maintain general ledger including month-end and year-end journal entries
- Local/State/Federal Tax Compliance: file quarterly reports with required payments, meeting deadlines
- Identify areas for management review regarding process and practice to improve efficiency and ensure compliance
- Budget to Actual Summary and Detail
- Prepare monthly statements of Income & Expense, Balance Sheet, other reports as needed
- Prepare Payroll Protection Loan final reports
- Prepare capital campaign tracking reports, when applicable
- Assist with annual Charitable Solicitations filing
- Financial Analysis (as needed): cash spend & burn rate, attention to cash flow management, and budget projections
- Assist with budgets and allocations for multiple programs and funding sources; enter into QuickBooks
- Participate in financial audits and reviews, including document preparation and onsite support (as needed)
- Prepare year-end reports, schedules and other documents requested by auditor
- Provide audit process support as needed; research and resolve issues as they arise
- Provide reports and data as requested for the completion of annual tax returns
- Update financials post audit based on audit recommendations
- Prepare periodic reports as required by Executive Director, Board and funders
- Maintain fixed asset inventory and depreciation
- Degree in accounting or related field; or two years accounting experience – required
- Strong understanding of GAAP and accrual-based accounting
- Fully cycle accounting experience
- Proficient in QuickBooks
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Proficient using a computerized general ledger, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Proficient applying cost allocation rules to expenses.
- Proficient with intensive data entry of accounting records
How to Apply
Send resume, letter of interest (include summary of previous similar work for a nonprofit organization(s); proficiency with QuickBooks accounting software and Excel; experience with audits; and proposed monthly cost, plus three professional references to Susan Duvenhage, Executive Director at email@example.com. Electronic submission required for all materials. Please reference the position title in the subject line of your message. Review begins immediately.
- Date Posted: July 9, 2021
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Environment