Book Programs Assistant
Assist with the Books for Nashville’s Kids and Reading Is Fundamental book acquisition and distribution programs and assist with other needs and priorities. Work 25 hours per week during weekday business hours.
The mission of Book’em is to create a more literate Nashville and ignite children’s passion for reading through book ownership and enthusiastic volunteers. We envision a future in Nashville where all children own books and know first-hand the joy and value of reading. For more information about Book’em, please visit www.bookem-kids.org.
- Process in book donations and purchases for Books for Nashville’s Kids (BFNK) and Reading Is Fundamental (RIF)
- Fulfill book requests
- Handle book pick-ups and book drop offs
- Train, coordinate and supervise volunteers helping with books
- Manage and organize physical book inventory in warehouses, office and book rooms (sometimes in multiple locations) for efficient use of space and productive processing of books and book requests
- Ensure accurate paperwork and reports related to book programs are completed in a timely manner
- Represent Book’em in a professional manner
- Assist with other duties as needed and assigned
- Project planning, time management, volunteer or people management and organizational skills.
- Excellent English language skills: oral, written, reading, and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and proactively without daily instruction, as well as ability to work well with a team.
- Must be comfortable working with a diverse population of volunteers, educators, business leaders and individuals.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance are required. Use of personal vehicle will be required at times.
- High school diploma or equivalent, college student, college degree and/or more.
- One year of work experience in any field is desired.
- Volunteer experience (any type) is desired.
- Above moderate / frequent physical activity.
- Manual dexterity to reach/handle items, work with fingers and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds frequently.
- Employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb and balance.
- Final candidate must pass a thorough background check.
Part-time position: 25 hours per week during weekday business hours (Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm). There is flexibility within those hours.
Book’em does not provide any medical/health benefits.
Part-time employees are eligible for paid time off.
We are a small staff of 3 full-time and 3 part-time employees, who are passionate about our work.
Equal Opportunity Employer – diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Email resume and cover letter stating why this position is of interest to you to:
Melissa Spradlin, Melissa@bookem-kids.org
No phone calls please.
- Date Posted: March 4, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 04/19/2021
- Salary Range: 12.00-13.00/hour
- Working Hours: 25 hrs/wk; M-F, 9:00am-5:00pm