Bilingual Afterschool Program Youth Worker
Position: Bilingual Afterschool Program Youth Worker
Conexión Américas seeks qualified candidates for the 10 hour per week position of After School Program Youth Worker. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills in English and Spanish and significant experience in working with Latino populations. The candidate will also demonstrate an understanding of challenges relating to youth development in low-income communities, specifically in the Latino immigrant community. Experience with education or leadership development preferred. The successful candidate must be highly organized, compassionate and adaptable to working with people of diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas should apply. Fluency in Spanish required and experience working with immigrant populations is preferred. Please note that part of the interview will be conducted in Spanish.
This is a part-time staff position that reports to the Afterschool Program Coordinator. Conexión Américas leads afterschool programs at three local middle schools through the “Estudiantes, Learning, Diversión!” program. The program addresses the educational needs of bilingual and bicultural Latino middle school students, grades 5-8. The focus is on academic support and literacy, as well as cultural engagement through dance, sports, art, and other activities.
We anticipate a weekly commitment of approximately 10 -12 hours. Outside of the regular 10 hours of programming, there will be approximately 1-2 hours of training, and administrative support.
Monday: 3:45pm- 6:15pm
Tuesday: 3:45pm- 6:15pm
Wednesday: 3:45- 6:15pm
Thursday: 3:45pm- 6:15pm
Program Site: Antioch or Croft Middle School
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate high quality, engaging activities during the afterschool program meetings.
- Provide academic support, mentorship, and leadership development activities for the students.
- Create and maintain a student-centered, safe learning environment.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with school administrators, Conexión Américas’ and student’s family members.
- Demonstrate a belief in the value and potential of every student.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with every other job at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative environment.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Spanish required, biculturalism preferred
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Effective verbal and written communication
● Excellent relationship building skills
● Experience working with youth preferred
● Reliable transportation required
Professional Development Opportunities
How to Apply
Please read about our mission and values on our website at www.conexionamericas.org. Please submit cover letter, resume and references to Sara Del Castillo, Director of People & Culture at email@example.com. No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.
- Date Posted: February 19, 2020
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 03/16/2020
- Working Hours: 10