AmeriCorps Member – Volunteer and Free Education Store Leader (LP Pencil Box)
The Volunteer and Free Education Store Leader (Leader) will direct the launch of a satellite “free store” for teachers and grow volunteer engagement for PENCIL, an organization linking community resources with public schools to distribute more supplies and better serve teachers.
The Volunteer and Free Education Store Leader serves with a 30-member cohort of community-focused individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through a partnership between PENCIL and Hands On Nashville, Middle Tennessee’s volunteer resource center.
The Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps program is made possible through the support of the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
PENCIL is looking for an organized, energetic, and positive Volunteer and Free Education Store Leader who has an interest in volunteer engagement, project management, and logistics. The Leader will direct and coordinate the brand new satellite location, opening January 2022, as well as recruit and manage volunteers for the satellite store and the continuation and growth of our “Classroom Creatives” program for the LP PENCIL Box. The “Classroom Creatives” program uses leftovers from paper donations to create bulletin board and other educational materials for teachers.
The ideal candidate will understand and appreciate logistics of managing a free retail store. They will demonstrate volunteer-management skills, excellent communication, organization skills, and great teamwork to build procedures and capacity of new programs to grow each successive year. They will also need to have a desire to help create and hone processes. The candidate must be able to demonstrate creative problem-solving and be adaptable. The ideal candidate must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on occasion, and be willing to drive a 20-foot van. This job involves some travel between our main warehouse and the satellite store, and they will have office space at each location.
- Coordinate and Lead the opening of the LP PENCIL Box satellite store.
- Develop procedures in conjunction with program staff on inventory management and running shopping at the satellite location.
- Grow the scope and volunteers of the “Classroom Creatives” program in its second year.
- Train and manage volunteers for both the satellite store and the “Classroom Creatives” program
- Assist with logistics and physically moving supplies from the main warehouse to the satellite location in the PENCIL van.
- Work with PENCIL Board Sub-Committee to implement the new Satellite store from drawings to reality.
The Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program is designed for entry-level or experienced professionals interested in a career in nonprofit management. You have amazing skills. We will teach you how to put them to work for the greater good.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Interests
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 16, 2021 – July 29, 2022)
- Associate’s Degree. Experience can be accepted in lieu of education.
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
Lift and carry up to 30-50lbs; Lift and carry up to 20-30lbs; Lift and carry up to 15lbs; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time.; Responsibilities in the position may entail operating machinery and/or power tools; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.; Service responsibilities require member to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl;
- $6,345 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
How to Apply
Please complete the Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Application Form. We will contact you within two weeks to let you know if you have been selected for an interview.
Accepting candidates on a rolling basis through August 1, 2021
- Date Posted: March 26, 2021
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/16/2021
- Salary Range: $17,500 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
- Working Hours: 35 – 40 hours per week