Hands On Nashville
AmeriCorps Member – Disaster Construction Leader
Hands On Nashville
The Disaster Construction Leader (Leader) supports rebuilding and repairs for homeowners following the March 2021 Nashville flood, working with the Construction Project Manager to set up systems, engage partners, and oversee repairs for flood survivors.
The Disaster Construction Leader serves with a 33-member cohort of community-focused individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through Hands On Nashville, Middle Tennessee’s volunteer resource center.
The Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps program is made possible through the support of the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
Hands On Nashville is looking for a resolute leader of people and projects to work closely with dozens of nonprofit, faith, and government organizations around Nashville to restore the homes of flood survivors. In partnership with the Construction Project Manager, the Leader ensures smooth coordination of services between construction agencies, timely communication to the Nashville VOAD’s Flood Long-term Recovery Group, and seamless collaboration with disaster case managers to meet the needs of survivors.
The ideal candidate is a strong problem solver who is energized by organizing information and projects, and has excellent written and verbal communication skills. Project management experience, disaster management skills, and/or construction-related experience are a plus.
- Conduct walk-throughs of flood-damaged homes to assess construction needs
- Create and maintain thorough documentation of construction activities and client files
- Participate in the Nashville VOAD’s Long-term Recovery Group for the March 2021 flood, with a particular emphasis on the Construction Committee.
- Provide a high level of customer service to diverse stakeholders, including flood survivors, contractors, nonprofit and governmental agencies and representatives, and volunteers.
- Partner with HON’s Volunteer Project Managers and Volunteer Engagement Leaders to complete volunteer projects supporting disaster response and recovery.
- Supports coordination of HON’s response activities in the event of a disaster
The Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program is designed for entry-level or experienced professionals interested in a career in nonprofit management. You have amazing skills. We will teach you how to put them to work for the greater good.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Interests
- Community Organizing
- Public Speaking
- Disaster Services
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 16, 2021 – July 29, 2022)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
Lift and carry up to 50lbs; Responsibilities in the position may entail sitting for extended periods of time; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time.; Responsibilities in the position may entail serving in the outdoors and potentially in inclement weather; Office or service environment may include noisy environments.; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.;
- $6,345 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
How to Apply
Please complete the Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Application Form. We will contact you within two weeks to let you know if you have been selected for an interview.
Accepting candidates on a rolling basis through August 1, 2021
- Date Posted: May 11, 2021
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/16/2021
- Salary Range: $17,500 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
- Working Hours: 35 – 40 hours per week