Adventure Science Center
Adventure Science Center
Position Title: Adventure Guide
Department: Experience and Collaboration, Public Programming
Reports to: Public Engagement Program Manager
FLSA Designation: Non-exempt, part-time, working <30 hours per week
Revised: April 2023
Adventure Science Center’s purpose is to transform lives through extraordinary experiences in science and innovation. Our vision is to become a nationally renowned destination science center. Adventure Science Center provides powerful exhibitions and inspiring programs with exceptional guest experiences that deepen the engagement of all ages in science and science-related disciplines. The science center supports STEAM education and workforce development through industry collaboration by presenting science in an engaging, innovative manner.
Adventure Guides create unforgettable learning experiences for visitors to the science center! Every year, we welcome hundreds of thousands of guests, from toddlers to their great-grandparents. With more than 100 hands-on exhibits, there is a lot to see, do, and learn; Adventure Guides help make sense of it all.
Every day as an Adventure Guide is unique. On a Saturday, you might be helping a kid assemble the organs of the human body, while on Monday, you’re wowing a family with a fact about our universe. Your duties will have just one thing in common: a commitment to creating extraordinary moments of learning.
Adventure Guides are present throughout our galleries, deepening guest experience, while also helping with wayfinding and other customer service needs. You will have one-on-one and small group integrations with our guests, shaping their experience more than any other staff.
Some things you’ll need to be able to do:
- Have a passion for science, learning, and play
- Be consistently active for several hours at a time
- Work well in fast-paced, highly variable environments
- Take initiative while working independently or as part of a team
- Work on days between Thursday and Monday, including some evenings
Apply now or read on for the formal details.
- Learn and comply with all safety rules of the exhibits
- Maintain knowledge of current exhibits and program content to convey exciting explanations to guests who are interacting with exhibits
- Report technical, maintenance, safety, and security needs found on gallery floors to the appropriate staff members and/or departments
- Maintain orderly exhibits by enforcing crowd control and operating exhibits in a timely manner
- Explain the purpose, safety guidelines, and educational information of exhibits with a positive, enthusiastic, and outgoing personality to guests of all ages and backgrounds
- Anticipate guest needs and solve guest issues with a positive, courteous, and professional attitude
- Initiate engaging conversations with guests waiting in line for exhibit experiences
- Perform core operational functions of guest safety and wayfinding
- Assist during emergency and evacuation situations
- Execute other duties deemed necessary by management based on museum needs
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs unassisted
- Must be able to withstand a combination of walking, standing, and bending for multiple hours
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma required
- Previous customer service experience preferred
- Have the willingness to take initiative and make customer-focused decisions
- Professional appearance and demeanor required
- Be reliable, flexible, and dependable
- Able to work 25-29 hours per week including weekends
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND TRAITS
- Ability and desire to work with and inspire visitors of all ages and learning backgrounds
- Ability to learn and convey educational information with effective communication skills
- Ability to solve practical problems and make customer service decisions confidently and efficiently
- Ability to work in both fast-paced and calm environments
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with multiple personality types
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Show enthusiasm and curiosity about science education and share that passion with others
- We are playful and passionate experimenters.
- We think big, embrace risk, and evolve our ideas in order to lead.
- We are collaborative with each other and our whole community.
- We foster diversity, curiosity, and creativity to make our experience unique.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Free onsite parking
- Complimentary Voyager membership to Adventure Science Center
- Free or discounted admission to local venues including The Nashville Zoo, The Frist Art Museum, Nashville Shores, Cheekwood Estate and Gardens, and more!
- Eligibility for Public Student Loan Forgiveness
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submission is required for all materials. To expedite processing, please place “Adventure Guide” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications received, we will only contact candidates selected for interviews.
- Date Posted: August 3, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 08/21/2023
- Salary Range: $15.00
- Working Hours: Varies, up to 30 hours/week including weekends; some evenings as needed for events