TN Dept. of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Service
Administrative Services Assistant 3 – Commissioner’s Suite
TN Dept. of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Service
The Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services is charged with planning for and promoting an array of services from prevention and early intervention to resiliency and recovery. DMHSAS operates four Regional Mental Health Institutes and contracts with mental health and substance abuse community providers across the state to offer services to Tennesseans. The Department manages a budget of more than $500 million, with funding from dedicated fees, revenue, federal grants, and state general fund appropriations.
The Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services is the State’s public mental health and substance abuse authority. The Office of the Commissioner, made up of the Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners, and the executive administrative staff, oversees and leads the Department in its mission. The office is responsible for system planning; setting policy and quality standards; systems monitoring and evaluation; disseminating public information; and advocating for people of all ages who have mental health issues, serious emotional disturbances, and/or substance abuse disorders. Annually the office assesses the public needs for mental health and substance abuse services and supports. This function is carried out in consultation and collaboration with current or former services recipients; their families, guardians, or conservators; advocates; providers agencies; and other affected people and organizations. For more information about the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services please visit www.tn.gov/behavioral-health.html.
The Department is currently seeking an enthusiastic individual to provide administrative support to the Department’s internal support to the Commissioner’s Suite. This position reports directly to the Executive Assistant. The position is located in downtown Nashville.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as the first point of contact for onsite visitors.
- Acts as Departmental receptionist: answers telephone and ensures the proper handling of inquiries and contacts.
- Provides clerical and administrative support to the Executive Assistant, Deputy Commissioner and Commissioner, as needed.
- Handles a variety of general correspondence which may include items such as responses for correspondence sent to the Commissioner through Governor’s Internet Quorum (IQ) System, Comptroller’s Office of Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline or directly from constituents.
- Receives and distributes mail.
- Must be extremely customer focused and model work around such with internal and external customers.
- Must maintain confidentiality on highly sensitive topics.
- Assists with the planning and preparation of department-wide events including events related to employee recognition.
- Will compile reports, spreadsheets, data, and research as requested.
- Must have excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with people at all levels within the agency and with other agencies.
- Must have strong critical thinking skills as well as excellent data management and spreadsheet presentation skills.
- Assists with additional projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge in Microsoft Office, specifically in:
- Microsoft Word 2010
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
- Microsoft Outlook 2010
- Microsoft Excel 2010
- A base knowledge or understanding of State government structure is recommended and encouraged.
- Must have ability to create documents, format reports and learn computer-based applications for data management.
Education / Experience
- High school diploma or GED required; 2 years of college preferred
- A minimum of 2 years of administrative support experience
- Experience in the mental health/substance abuse field a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must be a team player, comfortable working with employees at all levels with the organization, and have a desire to provide exceptional customer services
Additional Job Information
- Hours: 37.5 per week (full-time)
- Benefits: Information regarding benefits can be found at www.tn.gov/hr/employees1/benefits.html
The State of Tennessee provides competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, and short-term and long-term disability. Other benefits include a hybrid pension/401(k) plan, tuition fee waivers for employees and their children, employee discounts, EAP, and much more!
How to Apply
Please e-mail a resume and contact information for three professional references to Kris Jernighan at Kristosser.A.Jernighan@tn.gov
Pre-employment criminal background check is required
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
- Date Posted: November 22, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Government
- Salary Range: $2,907 - $4,653 per month
- Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week