Safe Haven Family Shelter
(Non-Profit) Housing Specialist
Safe Haven Family Shelter
Identify and coordinate the entire housing process for families experiencing homelessness: including locating housing, performing inspections, matching client need to housing options, coordinating and supervising moves, and ongoing housing inspections. Generates and manages housing leads to grow the landlord network through landlord visits and cultivation. Ensure housing options are fully compliant with grants. Maintains detailed records on housing status, landlord recruitment, housing inspections, and financial assistance.
- Clearly articulate Safe Haven’s mission, goals and value proposition to landlords and community stakeholders.
- Actively generate and qualify new housing leads for Safe Haven families
- Recruits new individuals/companies to Safe Haven’s landlord network, through ongoing landlord cultivation, encouraging them to become “preferred landlords”.
- Maintain landlord relationships through ongoing communications, resolution of client issues, and ongoing inspection to ensure properties are taken care of, and prompt customer service.
- Ensure adequate rental units are available for Safe Haven clients, in order to move families quickly from shelter/homelessness into appropriate housing.
- Meet families as soon as they become Safe Haven clients to discuss housing program, assess housing barriers, and begin making a housing plan.
- Provide transportation for families to view and approve possible housing placements in agency vehicle.
- Interact with clients according to a trauma-informed care framework.
- Understand the needs of Safe Haven’s clients and be able to effectively advocate for housing needs.
- Match client’s needs and goals to available units, taking into account client’s preference for unit type, safety of area, housing conditions, and proximity to employment opportunities.
- Track housing updates for each client on salesforce, regularly updating information to ensure that program team is able to daily track client housing progress.
- Coordinate and assist with housing placements for homeless families including utility set up, moving and other necessities.
- Provide ongoing advice, expertise, consultation and technical assistance to program director and case managers on housing matters.
- Serves as a liaison between Safe Haven and other housing agencies, providers and landlords/property managers on all matters related to housing.
- Work with and advise Safe Haven to ensure program and provider compliance with all applicable Federal and local housing regulations, laws and standards.
- Perform administrative duties related to paperwork and documentation for all housing programs and grants, ensuring full compliance related to housing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Must meet Safe Haven’s core values: strive for excellence, serve with compassion, never stop learning, embrace inclusion, cultivate collaboration, communicate with integrity
- 2 years’ related experience (sales/negotiation skills or housing navigation, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong customer service and client focus
- Excellent attention to detail
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Walking, bending, lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to travel to community service providers, housing and property, and to families in need.
- Ability to drive agency vehicles including 15-passenger van and large truck.
- Work Environment: Office setting and out in community. Must be able to sit / stand for 8 hours.
- 100% Employer-paid health and dental for individuals ($6,000 value for employee enrolled in individual plan)
- Additional discounted family coverage available as well (Up to $11,500 value for employee enrolled in family plan)
- 18 PTO Days plus 8 sabbatical days annually
- 16 Paid Holidays annually
- Paid parental/family leave
- 401K Plan (with 5% employer match)
- Employer paid short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Account options
- Voluntary vision and life insurance
- Up to $1,500 reimbursement annually for LMSW licensure supervision, if applicable
How to Apply
To apply, please click here then click on “Apply for this position.” Here you will have the opportunity to upload a resume and cover letter.
In creating your cover letter please carefully follow these instructions. The cover letter should speak specifically to your interest in this particular position, and discuss how you meet the position key requirements: strong customer service/client focus, sales/negotiation or housing navigation experience, excellent attention to detail, strong work ethic, and passion for the mission of Safe Haven. (Please do not upload a generic cover letter. We are interested in knowing your specific interest and fit for this position.)
No phone calls please.
Safe Haven is an equal opportunity employer.
- Date Posted: March 25, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Salary Range: 42,000-46,000
- Working Hours: 5 days/week; Some Evenings