Harvest Hands CDC
Shift Lead Barista – Humphreys Street Coffee Shop
Harvest Hands CDC
Responsible for leading baristas in efficient and profitable operation. Is responsible for the
day-to-day store operations, maintaining high store standards and conditions, and fostering a
welcoming and inclusive environment for customers and team members under the supervision
of store management. Shift Leads create the tone and personality of the store by being a
role-model in all aspects of work including: customer service, product knowledge and
education, safe work practices, and teamwork. Responsible for ensuring that the store meets
all health code and building standards as set by the management. Responsible for working
alongside Harvest Hands leadership to ensure students from Harvest Hands are engaged in
running the coffee shop and the mission of Harvest Hands is communicated through the shop.
The Shift Leads will also represent Harvest Hands’ mission in the community and intentionally
engage in community efforts to promote the store and the mission of the organization.
● The shift lead is considered an “expert barista,” so providing customer service is an
essential part of the job.
● Leads are expected to provide beverages and food to customers, but are also there to
address customers’ issues when they arise, contacting managers as needed.
● During times of high volume or unusual events, shift leads are expected to be calm and in charge,
delegating tasks effectively to the rest of staff.
● Shift leads run store operations during their scheduled shifts in the absence of a
manager. This includes opening and closing the store, supervising employees,
delegating tasks and responsibilities, mentoring/training student baristas as needed
and developing positive relationships with the students/staff.
● The shift lead also should recognize the accomplishments of students/staff members
with positive reinforcement.
● Ensuring proper cash management and cash register policies is another important part
of the shift lead job.
● In the case of an emergency situation, a lead is responsible for contacting the correct
emergency first responder FIRST, then management.
● In case of a fire, the shift lead is in charge of the use of the alarm system and/or
contacting the fire department.
● In case of a medical emergency, the shift lead is responsible for contacting the
emergency responders and NOT trying to take matters into their own hands unless
certified to do so (i.e. CPR).
● In the case of a situation that the police are needed, the shift lead is responsible for
contacting the police.
● All first responders can be contacted by calling 911 using the store phone or a
● The shift lead should be the ONLY point of contact for a first responder if management
has not already arrived unless first responders have requested otherwise.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other
related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the neighborhood and organization.
● Shift leads should have the ability to supervise the work of others and learn quickly.
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills are important in dealing with both
customers and staff.
● The shift lead should have the ability to remain calm and professional in difficult
● The ability to multitask is also important, as a lead will deal with a number of different
things during a shift.
● Decision-making skills are important as well.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, availibility, and potential start date to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Posted: November 8, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 11/15/2021
- Salary Range: 15/hour base
- Working Hours: Various