Friends of Shelby Park and Bottoms
Community Outreach and Volunteer Leader
Friends of Shelby Park and Bottoms
Friends of Shelby is looking for a fun, organized, and community-minded individual to join our team as the Community Outreach and Volunteer Leader. This full-time position will manage the organization’s robust volunteer program. They will recruit and engage a wide variety of volunteers to bolster the work of the organization. This position will build relationships with volunteers to improve recruitment and retention and inspire a lifelong commitment to service to our park and community. The position will also help with community engagement and activity programming
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop resources for recruitment, training, and retaining volunteers
- Cultivate relationships with the local community
- Organize and lead volunteer projects
- Develop ways to recognize and celebrate volunteers
- Develop new volunteer initiatives to increase program capacity
- Maintain an organized and accurate volunteer database
- Develop, implement, facilitate, and supervise varied free community program activities for engaging the community at Shelby Park and Bottoms that align with FOS mission and strategy
- Assist with event coordination including existing signature events, as needed including:
- Vendor coordination
- On-site facilitation
- Represent the FOS organization at community and park events as an active and enthusiastic advocate for the organization, and serve as a knowledgeable, friendly resource
- Create marketing collateral for the volunteer and community programs including flyers, signage, and social media content
- Promote Friends of Shelby programs on social media, monthly newsletter, and in community outlets
- Present program information in person to park visitors, community members, and partners.
- Communicate with a growing network of stakeholders including other nonprofits, neighborhood entities, businesses, etc.
- Collect, report, and process data and documents related to agency operation
- Work a flexible schedule averaging 40 hours per week, including occasional early mornings, nights, weekends, and local travel
- Work in the outdoors under various weather conditions; traverse uneven terrain; walk, stand, bend, stoop, and lift 50lb on a regular basis
- Maintain a means of personal transportation and communication
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or more than four years of experience in related fields, such as education, environment, construction/landscape, or social services.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Project management experience
- Competencies in computer programs and technology:
- Must use Microsoft Suite including Word and Excel without assistance.
- Knowledge of GIS mapping software is preferred. FOS can train as needed.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite or Canva is preferred. FOS can train as needed.
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
- Acceptable background check.
Qualities and Skills
- Passion for the mission and shared values with FOS.
- Proficient in leading volunteer projects including with large groups
- Attention to timeliness and details.
- Demonstrate success working collaboratively in support of shared goals.
- Confidence in speaking and engaging with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to present to, work with, and apply feedback from the Board to develop a successful Volunteer Program.
Paid time off is 35 days annually, including self-selected holidays, vacation, and sick time.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 18.
- Date Posted: August 24, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 10/01/2023
- Salary Range: $40,000+
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/week