Nashville Public Library Foundation
Bilingual Family Literacy Assistant – Bringing Books to Life
Nashville Public Library Foundation
Bringing Books to Life! (BBTL) is an award-winning literacy outreach initiative created by Nashville Public Library in collaboration with various agencies and institutions to serve the families and children of Nashville. The program utilizes the Library’s unique troupe of performing artists and historic collection of marionettes to foster reading readiness through literature-based theatre presentations, classroom lessons, and family literacy workshops. BBTL, supported by the Nashville Public Library Foundation, seeks to make the library a meaningful part of the lives of children and their families and emphasize the importance of reading to children. Beginning in Fall 2021, Bringing Books to Life is proud to partner with Vanderbilt University Medical Center on a multi-year research trial called COACH.
Bilingual Family Literacy Assistant: This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position for a candidate who possesses, preferably, a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in early childhood development/education and experience working with young children and families. Bilingual language skills in Spanish and English are a requirement for this position.
Reporting to the Family Literacy Coordinator, the Bilingual Family Literacy Assistant’s time will be divided between the preparation for and delivery of Bringing Books to Life’s Loving & Learning Family Literacy workshops and supporting the Library’s partnership with Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s COACH study. As part of COACH, this position will lead workshops in Spanish for families at area library locations and provide monthly coaching calls to support families’ learning. Candidate will be expected to travel throughout Davidson County. Position offers a flexible schedule with regular evening and weekend hours required. The salary is $35,340 with full benefits provided.
- Preparing program materials for family literacy workshops, including BBTL Loving & Learning workshops and Vanderbilt COACH sessions
- Leading Spanish language COACH sessions at library branches and community centers
- Assisting with or leading Loving & Learning Family Literacy workshops as assigned
- Participating in ongoing training and continuous quality improvement
- Providing monthly coaching calls to COACH families to support their learning
- Keeping track of program attendance numbers and other metrics as assigned
- Communicating regularly with Vanderbilt research staff and NPL staff regarding COACH session logistics and scheduling
- Other duties as assigned
- Fluency in English and Spanish, both written and spoken
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience working with young children, parents, and/or families in a group setting
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Bachelor’s degree in early childhood development/education or related field
- Knowledge of children’s literature and early literacy skills
- Ability to engage and maintain attention of adults and children using a variety of media including puppets, books, music and other visual aids
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for library services and mission
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library staff and staff from local agencies working with young children and families
NPLF provides a generous benefits package, including health, dental, short term disability, 401 K match, and mileage reimbursement. Full details will be shared during candidate interviews.
How to Apply
Send cover letter of interest & résumé to email@example.com
- Date Posted: July 21, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: 35,360 annually
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/week. Evening and weekend work required.