Youth and Young Adult Outreach Specialist
To actively participate in the crisis to housing continuum at Oasis towards the end goal of making homelessness for youth and young adults (ages 13-24) rare, brief and one time. This position specifically conducts street outreach to youth experiencing unsheltered homelessness in Davidson County to assist in obtaining housing, income, insurance, and mainstream benefits. Staff member will canvas to locate and engage youth to complete assessments, safety planning (with youth and support people- family, teachers, DCS workers etc.), and case management, housing navigation and coordinated entry services to homeless/street youth in the Metro Nashville area. This position will work collaboratively with an outreach team led by Park Center Inc.
- Provide screening, assessments and safety planning to youth and young adults who are experiencing homelessness, have runaway and/or fleeing violence.
- Work closely with families to strengthen relationships and work toward family reunification when appropriate
- Assist youth in creating plans to leave/avoid homelessness and support them in goal obtainment
- Coordinates with the Nurse Practitioner to conduct street medicine for people that are at a high risk of COVID-19. Help to build and implement strong internal collaborations that maximize Oasis resources for young people.
- Assist youth formally and informally as they master life skills, included but not limited to: job readiness, communication skills, transportation, budgeting.
- Provide referral services and follow-through with appropriate adjunct services, including: mental health services, medical, housing, etc. as needed.
- Learn and operate from a trauma informed/positive youth development approach to foster a safe healing environment to enable youth to overcome their life challenges
· Ability to form strong, caring and affirming relationships with all youth – specifically including LGBTQ+ youth.
· Ability to apply Motivational Interviewing principals and operate from a Trauma Informed Care approach.
· Clear understanding of racial inequities and willingness to operate from an anti-oppression model.
· Knowledge and ability to access community resources.
· Bachelor’s Degree
Paid Time Off
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to Michelle Hall @ mhall@oasiscenter.
- Date Posted: January 25, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: 32K- 36K