Youth and Young Adult Outreach Coordinator
NAMI Tennessee is seeking a half-time Youth and Young Adult Outreach Coordinator, a position based out of our Nashville office. Work time may be split in the office and/or from home. This position reports to the Senior Manager of Programs and Engagement. This is an exciting opportunity to enhance organizational outreach to youth and young adult populations in Tennessee to increase early intervention and mental health awareness in young people.
- Coordinate youth and young adult outreach efforts utilizing a broad range of techniques and strategies including NAMI Tennessee’s website(s), social media platforms, email, phone, and in-person outreach (e.g., conferences, community events, and/or canvassing);
- Secure opportunities for NAMI Tennessee to discuss youth and young adult mental health in Tennessee through conferences, presentations to schools and other community stakeholders, community partners and collaborators, local and state media, and other community events;
- Create and develop social media goals, strategy, and posting calendar for NAMI Tennessee’s social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, TikTok) to effectively reach youth and young adults with mental health awareness content, and opportunities for mental health advocacy, education, and peer support;
- Design campaigns, including the use of social media, to recruit and engage new NAMI Tennessee volunteers from youth and young adult populations in Tennessee;
- Partner with NAMI Tennessee’s 20+ Affiliates to reach young people in their local community;
- Organize logistics associated with youth/young adult outreach, engagement, and events as necessary and requested;
- Attend conferences, recruitment fairs, school presentations, and other community events to reach youth and young adults as necessary and requested;
- Incorporate principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) in all outreach and engagement work.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; or have at least three years of paid or volunteer work experience dealing with mental health advocacy and peer support.
- Must be able to work within NAMI Tennessee’s normal office hours (Monday–Friday, 9 AM to 5PM) with some flexible hours given for evening and weekend work as required by the position.
- Must be well organized and can focus on multiple tasks and goals simultaneously with differing timelines and deadlines.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in an office setting and in a collaborative team model.
- Working knowledge in computers/computer programs using the Microsoft Office product suite (experience with MS 365 and MS Teams is a plus).
- Must have a valid TN driver’s license.
- Occasional in-state travel required. **Currently NAMI Tennessee is operating under Covid travel restrictions. Staff, volunteer educators and volunteer presenters are asked to plan virtual events where and when possible. NAMI travel and face-to-face events should be kept to a minimum and only when following CDC, local health department regulations, and NAMI Tennessee Covid Guidelines. This policy is revisited regularly. Safety is primary. This position will transition to more travel as conditions permit.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Preference given to individuals who have been a recipient of mental health services for severe and persistent mental illness; should have insight and awareness into their mental health condition, committed to self-care, and the recovery process. Must have a minimum of one year in recovery absent of any psychiatric crisis or hospitalization.
- Preference given to individuals who are a friend, family member, and/or caregiver of a person with a mental health condition.
- Preference given to individuals with experience in mental health advocacy, peer support, education, and/or NAMI’s programs.
- Preference given to individuals familiar with the TN public mental health service system and/or TN public education system.
Paid Holidays, Sick Leave, Annual Leave
How to Apply
Send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. Please use the following in the Subject Line: Your Name, Youth and Young Adult Outreach Coordinator Opening
No phone calls, please.
- Date Posted: July 29, 2022
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Start Date: 08/22/2022
- Salary Range: $18-25/hour
- Working Hours: 20 hrs/wk, M-F