Volunteer Services Manager
National Museum of African American Music
Under the supervision of the NMAAM Director of Education and Public Programs, the Volunteer Services Manager will be responsible for recruiting, onboarding, scheduling, coordinating, and celebrating the Museum’s volunteer staff.
The National Museum of African American Music is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Director of Education and Public Programs to identify volunteer staffing needs
- Recruit volunteers and interns from Nashville and surrounding communities. This includes: working with the Museum’s communications and social media team, speaking at public events, etc.
- Screen, interview, onboard and refer volunteer candidates to appropriate departments
- Onboard volunteers and interns and maintain materials/handbooks that communicate policies, procedures, standards of service and general information.
- Provide leadership to volunteers in supporting the goals and objectives of the Museum.
- Work with staff to appropriately train, supervise, evaluate, support, and provide feedback.
- Develop working relationships with community and/or corporate volunteer programs
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week). While a regular work schedule will be established, flexibility is desired. Some Saturdays and evenings required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum of two years related work experience required
- Experience working in public programming and a passion for working with students of all ages
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills; research and data gathering skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents, basic negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Excellent planning and implementation skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and ability to be a self-starter
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience organizing and working with volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a wide range of individuals and groups
- Strong organizational and leadership skills, with proven track record as an effective team member
- Demonstrated experience in organizing meetings and trainings
- Ability to speak in public and organize presentations
- MS Office skills (experience with Volgistics software a plus)
- Bilingual fluency a plus
- Follows and supports policies and procedures of NMAAM.
- Participates as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- Creativity and self-initiative.
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NMAAM offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits and compensation package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, generous paid time off, and a matched 401(k).
How to Apply
We invite you to apply by providing your resume with cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. NMAAM is an equal opportunity employer.
- Date Posted: September 15, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 10/19/2020
- Salary Range: 42,000 - 48,000
- Working Hours: M-F plus some weekends