Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator greets, trains, motivates, and manages volunteers responsible for food sorting activities in a warehouse environment. Ensures volunteer satisfaction by engaging with individuals and groups throughout the project. This position supports and fosters our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion, which is the foundation for creating a culture of belonging for all personnel.
Customer service and hands-on volunteer management – Leads volunteer groups through food sorting, repackaging, and assembly projects:
- Provides training for food safety, warehouse safety, and food sorting requirements.
- Motivates and supervises volunteers.
- Provides tours of the facility to volunteers.
- Educates volunteers on the organization’s mission and upcoming events and campaigns.
- Assigns volunteers to work with other departments, as requested.
- Manages volunteers at off-site fundraisers and food drives.
Project management – Ensures that all volunteer projects are completed correctly and efficiently:
- Sets up workspace and prepares supplies for the assigned projects.
- Ensures food safety standards are met by proper cleaning of workspace after every shift.
Operations procedures/inventory control – Ensures accurate inventory control and communicates with the operations department daily to coordinate the movement of palletized food and needed supplies:
- Follows all inventory control procedures required for transferring products.
- Scans and labels all completed pallets.
- Reports the status of inventory production in daily reports.
- Conducts cycle counts for products stored in volunteer sort rooms.
- Completes and submits pallet drop request forms.
- Daily use of warehouse equipment (manual and electric pallet jacks), weekly use of forklift (tow motor).
Required service hours management:
- Manages court-ordered community service volunteers.
- Assigns court-ordered community service volunteers to work with other departments.
- Tracks service hours, and dismisses volunteers who do not meet job requirements.
- Confirms completed hours for court, school, and corporate volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma (or equivalent) required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Experience: 2+ years of related experience and/or training
Skills & Capabilities:
- Strong communication with comfort engaging through a variety of methods (verbal, non-verbal, and written) and is attuned to others through active listening.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Effectively delegates and coordinates tasks to others, while also ensuring that everyone is focused and motivated.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Flexible and reliable team player.
- Organizes work, sets priorities, exchanges information efficiently, and effectively manages one’s own time.
- Collaborates with and presents to diverse audiences in a variety of settings.
- Comfortable in a warehouse work environment.
Competencies: Attention to detail, Result orientation and execution, Quality improvement, Customer service
Other requirements: Our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record, and a pre-employment drug test. A current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case-by-case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity, and job relation).
Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands-on, and solutions-oriented. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven, and focused on results. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck but also help your local community through meaningful work. If you are passionate about serving your neighbors in need and are committed to our mission of ending hunger, we invite you to join our 120+ person team in the fight against hunger, as we work to achieve our vision of a hunger-free community.
Award-winning workplace: we are a best-in-class workplace because we are passionate and people-focused – we listen, respect, care, and challenge each other so that our neighbors can count on us. Our employees have identified us among The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces eight times based solely on employee surveys and feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program. We focus on staff physical and mental health, financial empowerment, personal and professional development as well as social and community engagement. There is ample opportunity to be engaged, have a work-life balance, and grow with Second Harvest.
Compensation & Benefits: Second Harvest is proud to offer rich and affordable total compensation packages. Full-time employment includes 34+ days off, medical (employee-only is 100% employer paid), dental, vision, 403b retirement (up to 3% match, 5% base, length of service vesting), disability insurance (short and long term) and long-term care insurance.
DEIB & Equal Employment Opportunity: we celebrate and value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are intentionally working to diversify our team so that our employees reflect the diverse communities that we serve. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply! Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented and diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or other legally protected characteristics.
How to Apply
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website: secondharvestmidtn.org/job-opportunities. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- In-person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website: secondharvestmidtn.org/contact.
- Date Posted: October 30, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Social / Human Services