Working from the Nashville campus and reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the incoming Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and implementing all volunteer-related programming and events associated with Dismas House of Nashville. The Volunteer Coordinator will also work closely with the VP of Programs to assist in the planning and implementation of daytime and evening programming. We’re looking for a compassionate, caredriven professional who believes in facilitating wellness for residents and their families and will take initiative in planning and coordinating volunteer efforts and effectively communicating with volunteers, residents and Dismas staff. The ideal candidate can start by July 15, 2020 and will have flexibility with work hours including the ability to work some evenings and some weekend hours as needed. Further, the ideal candidate must have a reliable car, and be comfortable and have experience and/or passion for helping formerly incarcerated individuals.
I. Volunteer Coordination
● Organizes, coordinates and implements the recruitment of volunteers for the board, various
committees, departments and association programs.
● Main point of contact for all volunteers and volunteer activities.
● Works with social, civic and local organizations to develop partnerships, where appropriate, to
develop and/or utilize volunteers.
● Oversees the orientation and training programs for all volunteers including updating the
Volunteer Handbook and leading Volunteer training.
● Oversees and coordinates Volunteer Community Dinners.
● Maintains updated records on all volunteers.
● Sets up and attends volunteer meetings. Reports to staff on volunteer activities as needed.
● Recommends and develops ongoing volunteer utilization.
● Works with Special Events Coordinator to plan the annual volunteer recognition program.
● Promote volunteering internally and externally through recruitment, publicity strategies and
● Ensure volunteers are appropriately matched and trained for positions.
● Prepares specialized reports and presentations as it relates to the progress of projects and
● Tracks key project milestones and adjusts project plans to meet the needs of work effort.
Responsible for leading the project from inception to final business acceptance and
● Assists the VP of Operations in writing volunteer job descriptions & setting organizational goals.
● Other duties that occur, as needed.
II. Program Coordination
• Work closely with VP of Programs to implement, coordinate, and facilitate daytime and evening
• Ensure resident attendance at all required programming, meetings and community dinners.
• Work with program providers to schedule appointments, sessions, and classes.
• Support program providers ensuring they have what is needed to offer their services.
• Help VP of Programs to generate new programming ideas and develop new program
• Assist VP of Programs to develop and implement a community service program by coordinating
with local non-profit agencies.
DESIRED BACKGROUND & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
● Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or a related field from an accredited college or university. Master’s is a plus.
● Experience working with volunteers, volunteer leadership, and program staff.
● 1-3 years of related experience in managing and overseeing a group of volunteers that perform various duties, preferably in a non-profit setting.
● Outstanding public presentation skills and a capacity to communicate effectively to the press, board, committees, staff, volunteers, and the public in a concise, focused and convincing manner.
● Propensity to work with high energy, a high degree of initiative and from a positive perspective while maintaining flexibility and attention to detail.
● Enormous passion for and commitment to the mission of Dismas House, and an understanding of prison culture desired.
● Excellent organization skills including increasing efficiencies around systems, procedures and protocols.
● Excellent computer skills and knowledge of database programs.
Excellent benefits package provided through the State of Tennessee.
How to Apply
Interested parties should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
- Date Posted: June 3, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 07/15/2020
- Working Hours: 40hrs/wk