Tennessee Hospital Association
Vice President, State Government Affairs
Tennessee Hospital Association
EOE, including disability and vet
Provides strategic direction for THA staff in the analysis and development of state government policy and is responsible for the overall management and advocacy of THA’s board approved state legislative agenda. Advises THA staff and members on all state legislative and regulatory matters impacting hospitals and works with the THA Board of Directors, THA Government Affairs Council and other hospital representatives to obtain feedback on proposed policy changes. Builds and maintains strong relationships with the legislative and executive branches and guides and grows the association’s interactions and grassroots efforts with state leaders. Works with THA’s political action committee (PAC) governance to set fundraising goals and establish campaign contribution strategy.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- The ability to adapt to a changing work environment and meet challenges presented throughout the day.
- Serves as chief lobbyist for THA in all state government affairs work.
- Functions as THA’s primary contact with leaders and members of the General Assembly.
- Leads the annual process for gathering member input and developing the state legislative agenda for review and approval of the THA Government Affairs Council and THA Board of Directors.
- Works with the THA CEO and COO to plan, manage and implement all THA state legislative activities consistent with direction from the THA Board of Directors and THA Government Affairs Council.
- Manages internal state government affairs department as well as THA contract lobbyists to ensure THA’s state government relations goals are met.
- Responsible for identifying, analyzing, tracking and responding to all legislation and regulation of relevance to hospitals, with support from legal counsel as needed.
- Provides testimony as necessary in legislative hearings, public meetings and other applicable forums.
- Responsible for creating and disseminating messaging on all THA state government affairs priorities.
- Oversees content development for THA government affairs publications and related materials.
- Leads state grassroots activity, including issuing calls to action and overseeing planning and execution of THA’s annual Legislative Day on the Hill.
- Develops and manages the budget for the State Government Affairs Department.
- Provides research and analysis to THA members and seeks input from THA members on issues and topics related to legislation.
- Works with THA’s PAC governance to establish fundraising goals, determine contribution strategy and execute successful annual campaigns.
- Must be available at any time during legislative session in order to respond to any issues that arise.
- Must be available for out-of-town travel approximately 20 percent of the time, be able to drive an automobile and maintain a valid driver’s license.
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE: (Positions reporting to the role)
- Senior Director, Advocacy: This position works directly with and assists the vice president of state government affairs to (1) develop and implement THA’s legislative advocacy strategy, including the association’s grassroots lobbying efforts with member hospitals and advocating for the association’s legislative agenda with state lawmakers and other government officials; (2) research, vet and determine the association’s position on key policy initiatives by working with THA members and providing input, guidance and expert knowledge of the legislative process; and develops and maintains strong working relationships with legislators and executive branch officials; (3) monitor, review and represent THA as state departments and state licensure boards promulgate rules, guidelines and policies, as appropriate; and (4) coordinate state political action committee activity, including contributions to elected officials and candidates, as well as coordinating with fundraising staff to ensure fundraising goals are met.
- Executive Assistant: Provides administrative support, which includes, but is not limited to, taking minutes, scheduling, making travel arrangements, meeting logistics, maintaining records and distributing communications.
Educational and experience Requirements Needed to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience working in state government affairs, including private sector lobbying and/or experience in the executive branch or Tennessee General Assembly, is required.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in government affairs in the healthcare industry is required.
- Experience working with hospitals/health systems or on hospital issues required.
- Strong relationships with Tennessee government officials and key stakeholders highly desired.
Skills Required to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- Excellent relationship skills and the ability to represent THA and its members with professionalism and the utmost integrity at all times.
- Keen political instincts and the ability to anticipate and prioritize as well as manage the organization’s political capital effectively.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and the ability to navigate political, policy and financial considerations simultaneously.
- Highly experienced with both conceiving and executing a strategy.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- The ability to quickly respond to unexpected issues.
- Clear understanding of and the ability to navigate and communicate detailed state legislative and regulatory processes, including but not limited to, the committee process/House and Senate rules, annual budget development and appropriations processes and agency rulemaking.
- Experience and familiarity with recent significant healthcare legislation.
- The ability to lead and manage a diverse team of individuals towards a common goal.
- The ability to make effective presentations to large groups.
- The ability to take complicated issues and present them in a concise, easily understood manner in both written and oral communications.
- The ability to identify the appropriate constituencies involved in issues and bring them together for effective discussions and resolutions.
- Team oriented with the ability to collaborate effectively with THA staff and subject matter experts and assist colleagues as needed.
Health, dental, vision and life insurance
Short- and long-term disability insurance
Paid time off
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and apply through https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/1097207/Tennessee-Hospital-Association/Vice-President-State-Government-Relations
- Date Posted: May 18, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)