Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee
Vice President of Finance
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee
JOB TITLE: VP of Finance
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Yes
FLSA STATUS: Salary, Exempt
LOCATION: Nashville, TN
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality, innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
WE ARE AN AGENCY THAT CELEBRATES DIFFERENCES
We show each other dignity through our partnerships, decisions, and language. We intentionally engage, represent, and partner with our diverse communities. We demonstrate our values by learning together with staff, board, volunteers, youth, families, and investors to think and act with sensitivity and intentionality.
Driven by the voice of our stakeholders, our agency develops responsive and respectful programming and builds strategic and thoughtful alliances.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members brings unique perspectives and skills, and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN, you will be inspired by talented, passionate colleagues who will motivate you to do and be your best. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Each employee at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee helps extend the agency's mission in particular ways, as outlined in the position description. The essential functions of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the VP of Finance is a key leader for the agency and will help shape the future of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee. The VP of Finance will manage agency financial operations, provide clear and accurate reports to management, and support agency short-term and long-term planning with insightful analysis. This position is key in aligning our organization’s financial goals with our mission. By effectively maintaining the agency’s financial resources, you help to ensure that the organization has the resources needed to fulfill our mission now and, in the future, allowing for greater reach and impact.
- Set and execute the vision for all financial operations including accounting, budgeting, forecasting, and treasury. Develop a multi-year financial model that balances the agency’s growth plans with its financial resources
- Actively participate in agency planning and initiative development to ensure decisions are made with a clear understanding of financial implications and constraints
- Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Lead the end-to-end accounting process, including month end close
- Support the outside Audit process by gathering necessary financial information and documents
- Lead the process and oversight of grant management and reconciliation
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors including monthly reporting and the annual report
- Manage the accounting systems (MIP and Bill.com)
- Lead the annual budget process
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Comply with local, state, and federal government requirements
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Serve as a member of the Executive Leadership Team
- Verify invoices prior to payment and ensure expenses are charged to the appropriate accounts
- Performs other related duties as assigned
We are seeking…
- A ”player/coach” who has both the technical expertise to get the job done as well as the leadership skills to help ensure the agency grows its mission and achieves its financial goals
- The communication skills to “tell the story behind the numbers” by boiling complex financial concepts into plain language appropriate for the target audience including the Board, Leadership Team, and front-line staff
- Previous experience managing diverse revenue streams and grant processes, preferably in a nonprofit organization. Working knowledge of MIP Abila and Bill.com accounting software a plus.
- Understanding of GAAP in a nonprofit organization
- Positive attitude and ability to adjust to changing priorities and growing responsibilities
- Belief in the agency’s mission
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant degree; MBA or CPA preferred with 5-7 years of high- level accounting and/or finance experience.
Because we hire the best people and value our staff, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN works hard to provide competitive benefits to our team. Our comprehensive benefits package, which helps to support a healthy work/life balance, includes:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision) – a generous portion is paid by BBBSMT
- Domestic Partner Benefits
- Company Paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Immediate enrollment in our 403B — We match 50% of what you contribute up to 6% of pay and staff are vested after 12 months of employment
- Training & development programs
- Opportunities for advancement- we promote from within!
- 20 days of paid time off
- 15 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Years
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Flexible work schedule with a hybrid work environment
- Professional resume, LinkedIn profile, and headshot
Americans with Disabilities Act
Employee must be able to perform all essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities, and competencies necessary to perform the job's essential duties and responsibilities. They should not be regarded as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSMT may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the organization's needs.
To see more of the impact we are making: http://www.mentorakid.org
How to Apply
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to
email@example.com with “Your Name – VP of Finance” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
BBBSMT values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages all genders, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. BBBSMT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
- Date Posted: April 24, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Children / Youth