Andrew Jackson Foundation
Vice President of Development
Andrew Jackson Foundation
The mission of the Andrew Jackson Foundation is to preserve The Hermitage, the home of President Andrew Jackson, to create learning opportunities, and to inspire citizenship through experiencing the life and unique impact of Jackson.
The Vice President of Development (VPD) is responsible for the strategic planning, organization and implementation of individual and corporate development efforts. Focus areas include annual giving, event sponsorships, major gifts, capital gifts and planned gifts. In a supervisory role, the VPD will oversee the membership program, grant and foundation work, database management and routine department functions.
- Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Collaborate with the Senior Vice President for Institutional Advancement (SVP) and President & CEO to develop and implement fundraising strategy at all philanthropic levels, including individual, corporate, foundation, major gifts, capital gifts, planned gifts, sponsorships and memberships.
- Design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external relationships by identifying, cultivating and soliciting prospects and representing the Andrew Jackson Foundation in the community as an active participant in civic programs.
- Develop and implement an annual strategy with monthly plans of work for annual giving, corporate sponsorships, major gifts, memberships and special events.
- Collaborate with SVP and Vice President of Marketing and Communications to develop an annual communication plan for the department that strategically targets key audiences, enhances engagement across media platforms and results in a budget positive return on investment.
- Research and forecast industry trends to ensure the Foundation anticipates changes in the market, adapts and remains competitive.
- Lead development efforts in the areas of annual giving, corporate sponsorships and major gifts. Partner with the SVP in cultivating and soliciting capital gifts and planned gifts.
- Research key donors and develop moves management strategies.
- Collect and analyze data for goal setting and evaluation of individual and corporate fundraising efforts.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program that drives donor engagement and defines acknowledgement strategies.
- Execute biannual direct mail appeals, which includes copywriting, data compilation and segmentation, design and vendor selection.
- Develop content for formal proposals, appeal letters, collateral, event programs, grants, annual publications and other projects as needed.
- Partner with Director of Events to plan and execute quarterly cultivation events.
- Coordinate the Foundation’s Development Committee, including recruiting committee members annually, organizing meetings, identifying objectives and driving outcomes.
- Track donor engagement and maintain data integrity within Tessitura.
- Financial Responsibility
- Achieve individual and corporate fundraising goals annually.
- Partner with the SVP to develop and monitor department budget.
- Drive budget growth by cultivating new funding sources and diversifying revenue streams.
- Audit and present financial data to executive staff and Board of Trustees as needed.
- Oversee gift processing procedures and protect donor financial information.
- Ensure gift processing and acknowledgement procedures are aligned with best practices.
- Team Development
- Lead recruitment, hiring and training of development staff.
- Champion morale and promote a fulfilling culture that celebrates victories, mediates concerns in a healthy and tactful manner and promotes continuous learning.
- Lead professional development activities for development staff, including on and off-site training, industry trips, articles, webinars, books and conferences.
- Assign accountabilities to development staff, evaluate performance and outcomes, conduct annual performance evaluations and negotiate salary adjustments.
- Passion for the Andrew Jackson Foundation’s mission to preserve, educate and inspire
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- 5+ years of professional experience in nonprofit industry with demonstrated success in development role
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate enduring stakeholder relationships and produce outcomes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to influence varied audiences
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Multifaceted leadership approach with ability to impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work effectively as independent contributor or as part of a team
- Passion for collaboration and ability to work with other staff and departments to achieve a shared vision
- Ability to develop, organize and implement high level strategic plans
- Commitment to providing elite customer service, building relationships and demonstrating reliability
- Professionalism and ability to represent the Foundation in the community
- High character with ability to promote positive morale and build strong culture
- Excellent computer skills with ability to effectively utilize spreadsheets, presentations and word processors
- Experience working with Tessitura or other CRM software preferred
Employment with the Andrew Jackson Foundation comes with a comprehensive benefits package including health, vision, dental, and life insurance.
How to Apply
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Posted: May 26, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Arts / Culture