Second Harvest Food Bank
Transportation Specialist, Project Preserve
Second Harvest Food Bank
Who we are:
If you want to make a real difference in the lives of those in need, Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee is the right workplace for you. Help us make a lasting impact for those in our community while also growing in a challenging and rewarding career.
Selected eight times as a Top Workplace by the Tennessean, Second Harvest has been providing food to our more than 1 million neighbors at risk of hunger in Middle and West Tennessee since 1978. In support of our mission, which is “to provide food to people facing hunger and work to advance hunger solutions” – last year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 450 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.5 million nutritious meals to hungry children, families and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. To learn more about our work, visit our website secondharvestmidtn.org and our social media.
- Acts as primary in-house contact to maintain close communication and healthy relationships with freight carriers and brokers to provide prompt service and competitive rates for all outbound customer orders and inbound inventory replenishment.
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with multiple carriers/brokers and provides long-term, competitive freight rates for all lanes served throughout all markets served. Communicates our needs respectfully and with enthusiasm and professionalism. Tenders less than truckload (LTL) and full truckload (FTL) freight rates from multiple carriers.
- Apprises Director, Supply Chain of changes/ fluctuations in market as well as opportunities and issues with existing vendor options.
- Collaborates with the internal Finance team to process all freight bills promptly and provides prompt input and resolution to all invoice issues.
- Supplies prompt feedback to the Project Preserve team and is the in-house expert for the current transportation trends for the markets we serve.
When & Where:
- Schedule: Typical daytime schedule to work primarily out of our Martin Distribution Center in Nashville from Monday – Friday from 7:30 AM – 4 PM. Occasional duties may be necessary, as well as responding to issues, outside of normal working hours (e.g., disaster response, community events, etc.).
- Travel: Occasional daytime travel required, up to 10% of work week within the local service area. Current driver’s license with copy of current auto insurance and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) results required.
- Flexibility: our flexible work program is a strategic tool to achieve organizational goals, empower employees to do their best work and foster engagement by supporting high performance, business continuity as well as wellbeing and work-life-balance. WorkFlex arrangements are complex, specific to individuals and roles and include the following options: alternative schedule, compressed week, reduced and job sharing.
- Essential business/ first responder: In instances of a federal, state or locally declared emergency, Second Harvest is typically considered an essential business service and emergency responder. All employees may be required to perform regular or emergent duties on-site. Employee safety is balanced with business and community necessity. Some positions are more likely to be required on-site than others.
Is this you?:
- Education: High School Diploma (or equivalent) required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience: 3+ years of related experience and/or training, of which 2+ years of experience with scheduling inbound and outbound freight loads.
- Skills: Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, and Word; Technical proficiency to learn new databases and software; Successful history of negotiation and relationship management of vendors; Confidence and professionalism to interact with employees across all levels of the organization; Successful in a fast-paced and sales-focused work environment; Organizes, coordinates, and directs projects; Strong oral and written communication abilities, both internally and externally.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, and a pre-employment drug test. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case-by-case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
Second Harvest offers:
- Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands on and solutions oriented. Our mission is to provide food to people facing hunger and work to advance hunger solutions. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck, but also help your local community through meaningful work.
- Award winning workplace: we are a best-in-class workplace because we are passionate and people focused, so that our community can count on us for our critical work. Our employees have voted us amongst The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces based solely on their feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program.
- Compensation & Benefits: Second Harvest is proud to offer rich and affordable total compensation packages. Full-time employment includes 34+ days off, medical/ dental/ vision (employee-only is 100% employer paid), retirement (up to 8% match), disability insurance (short and long term) and long-term care insurance.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity: Second Harvest embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we serve. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or other legally protected characteristics.
How to Apply
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Find out more information about how to apply on our website: http://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/job-opportunities/?gnk=apply&gni=8a7883a964abde950164c8da5579527a&gns=CNM Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN. We love it here and think you will too.
- Date Posted: March 22, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Working Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm