Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee
The FIND Design Mentor Corps Fellow
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee
JOB TITLE: The FIND Design Mentor Corps Fellow
REPORTS TO: Program Enhancements Manager
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No
FLSA STATUS: Part-time, non-exempt
SALARY: $13.50/hour (20 hours/week)
LOCATION: Metro Nashville/Davidson County
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality, innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
WE ARE AN AGENCY THAT CELEBRATES DIFFERENCES
We show each other dignity through our partnerships, decisions, and language. We intentionally engage, represent, and partner with our diverse communities. We demonstrate our values by learning together with staff, board, volunteers, youth, families, and investors to think and act with sensitivity and intentionality. Driven by the voice of our stakeholders, our agency develops responsive and respectful programming and builds strategic and thoughtful alliances.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members brings unique perspectives and skills, and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN, you will be inspired by talented, passionate colleagues who will motivate you to do and be your best. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Day to day:
As a youth serving agency, we work at the request of the young people enrolled in our programs to find them the mentors that they want and need – mentors that can ignite their potential and have lived experience that youth can identify with. In order to meet the needs of our clients – the youth we serve, we have launched a new initiative: The MentorCorps Fellowship. The MentorCorps Fellowship is a paid fellowship that seeks to expand the impact of mentorship by matching highly-sought-after mentors with multiple youth and embedding these mentors with partner organizations to support mentoring initiatives.
We are excited to partner with F.I.N.D Design to support mentoring in schools through their F.L.Y. Girl Program. This F.I.N.D. Design MentorCorps Fellow will support high-school age youth in Metro Nashville Public Schools through a combination of one-to-one mentoring and group facilitation. This MentorCorps Fellow will facilitate groups that promote a safe environment to aid in alleviating the effects of racism and discrimination for Black girls and other girls of color.
Through meaningful, engaging, and culturally competent interactions, a MentorCorps Fellow will:
- Build healthy relationships with youth in 1:1 matches to promote positive development,
- Co-facilitate a group during school hours with mentees using the F.I.N.D. Design curriculum that supports ethnic identity, relationship building, community and school engagement, and self-advocacy.
- Serve as a 1:1 mentor to up to 10 youth (“Littles”)
- Co-facilitate a weekly group for Littles in in the F.I.N.D. Design program in Hillsboro High School.
- Utilizing both 1:1 and group mentoring, support youth’s ethnic identity, relationship building, community and school engagement, and self-advocacy.
- Engage with each Little in a 1:1 match weekly in person or via virtual mentoring platforms.
- Find ways to cultivate and amplify youth voice within your group and mentoring.
- Facilitate safe and engaging groups following the F.L.Y. Girl curriculum.
- Engage in professional development according to development needs identified by BBBSMT staff and F.I.N.D Design staff.
- Participate in monthly professional mentoring with BBBSMT staff
- Attend weekly coaching sessions with F.I.N.D. Design Site Coordinator
- Be a supportive, positive role model.
- Exhibit open and affirming behavior and active listening.
- Apply best practices for child safety, interaction, and engagement with Littles
- Acknowledge Littles strengths, talents, and gifts and encourage them to find ways to use them.
- Display enthusiasm, patience, and understanding of Littles
- Participate in monthly match support with BBBS staff and accept coaching, feedback and training as needed
This Job May Be For You…
- Candidate with experience working with high school students, particularly girls of color.
- Previous experience mentoring in some capacity, e.g. school setting, neighborhood, sports team, younger family member
- Willingness to provide emotional, social, and practical support within limits
- Experience working with youth who may have behavior challenges inside and/or outside of school
- Cultural competence
- Are familiar with principals of trauma-informed care and strengths-based youth work
- Comfortable with or experience with facilitating or speaking in front of groups
- Must be able to collaborate with building administration and teachers
- Knowledge of one’s boundaries and ability to set limits with others
- Ambitious and goal driven
- A commitment to the BBBS mission and core values
- A commitment to creating a supportive environment, promoting a positive identity, and supporting academic performance for identified youth.
- Work schedule includes typical school hours and one Saturday a month for community field trips.
- Women who are familiar with working with girls of color are encouraged to apply
- Completed background check and training provided by both BBBSMT (criminal background will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Criminal record will not automatically disqualify applicants.)
- Ambitious and goal driven
- Commitment to serve for 12 months after date of hire
- Ability to allocate 20 hours to program requirements
- Availability during school hours
- Professional training & development programs
- Flexible work schedule with a hybrid (remote work/in-office work) work environment
- Professional resume, LinkedIn profile and headshot
Americans with Disabilities Act
Employee must be able to perform all essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities, and competencies necessary to perform the job’s essential duties and responsibilities. They should not be regarded as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSMT may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the organization’s needs.
To see more of the impact we are making: http://www.mentorakid.org
How to Apply
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Your Name – Mentor Corps Fellow – FIND Design” in the subject line OR mail to
Director of Employee Experience
1704 Charlotte Ave. Suite 130
Nashville, TN 37203
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Big Brothers Big sisters of Middle Tennessee celebrates diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, class, color, sexuality, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, nationality, disability, marital status, or military status.
- Date Posted: August 31, 2022
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: 13.50/hour