Tennessee Environmental Council (TEC)
Tennessee Eco-Challenge Leader – AmeriCorps Member
Tennessee Environmental Council (TEC)
Full Time, August 15,2022 – July 28, 2023
Do you think more people should make their lifestyles more sustainable? Tennessee Environmental Council is looking for an AmeriCorps Member to expand our “Eco-Challenge” concept to incentivize and engage individuals, families, and companies across Tennessee in simple steps to help our environment.
We want to make it fun and rewarding for people to get more involved in sustainability, especially in their homes. If you can bring fresh energy to this pursuit, with a passion for sustainability,and creative ways to get people involved, this is a perfect service position for you. You don’t have to have all the answers, but rather, a desire to build upon and improve upon an existing model.
During this service term, you will immerse yourself in projects to gain insight, grow your ability to improve systems, and become a stronger sustainability advocate. This member will spend their time composting, recycling, planting trees and pollinator habitats, and working on stream restoration projects. This member plays a key role in our Fall Eco-Challenge campaign (October -November), which will get hundreds of people involved in these same activities, with measurable results. This member will develop the infrastructure to make this campaign an annual success.
This AmeriCorps member will leave their service term with some strong resume-builders, such as: Developed and implemented a statewide sustainability campaign, enhanced program design skills, volunteer engagement, project management, outreach strategies, and program resource development.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter, and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through generous support from Volunteer Tennessee, The Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, and AmeriCorps, the federal agency connecting individuals and organizations through service and volunteering to tackle the nation’s most pressing challenges.
- Develop systems and resources to improve the effectiveness of the existing program
- Develop and implement outreach strategies to increase participation in the campaign across Tennessee
- Secure media coverage of the statewide campaign, writing press releases and media advisories
- Create a robust social media campaign around the effort
- Improve the effectiveness of existing community outreach and engagement platform
Typical Day In This Position
In a typical day, you will report to the office and meet with your service mentor. Your days will strike a healthy balance between being in the field working on projects, and being in the office doing research, program development and communications.
Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm, and some Saturdays (once a month), about 37.5 hours a week.
Members should have experience with or the willingness to develop competencies in these areas:
(1) Working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and political ideologies effectively
(2) Willingness to be an advocate for sustainability, previous experience a plus
(3) Interest or experience in grassroots organizing principles
(4) Proficiency in using Google Workspaces or ability to learn new computer skills quickly
Key abilities include:
(1) Excellent written and verbal communication skills
(2) Recognizing and responding to opportunities to improve an existing system or operations
(3) Interest or experience in marketing and promotions, including social media content creation and website optimization
Can professional experience be substituted for formal education: Yes
Lift and carry up to 20-30lbs;Responsibilities in the position may entail sitting for extended periods of time; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time.; Responsibilities in the position may entail serving in the outdoors and potentially in inclement weather; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.; Service responsibilities require the member to communicate verbally via the telephone and/or computer.;
Required Driver’s License: Yes
- $6,495 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
- $20,000 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
How to Apply
Please apply using the link: https://forms.office.com/r/4BZ11DvFuv
- Date Posted: April 7, 2022
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 08/15/2022
- Salary Range: 20000
- Working Hours: 37.5