TennCare Communications Director
TennCare is Tennessee’s managed care Medicaid program that provides health insurance coverage to certain groups of low-income individuals such as pregnant women, children, caretaker relatives of young children, older adults, and adults with physical disabilities. TennCare provides coverage for approximately 1.4 million Tennesseans and operates with an annual budget of approximately $12 billion. It is run by the Division of TennCare with oversight and some funding from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
WHY WORK AT TENNCARE?
TennCare’s mission is to improve the lives of Tennesseans by providing high-quality cost-effective care. To fulfill that purpose, we equip each employee for active participation and empower teams to communicate and work collaboratively to improve organizational processes in order to make a difference in the lives our members. Because of the positive impact TennCare has on the lives of the most vulnerable Tennesseans, TennCare employees report that their work provides them with a sense of meaning, purpose, and accomplishment. TennCare leadership understands that employees are our most valuable resource and ensures professional and leadership development are a priority for the agency.
JOB AND DEPARTMENTAL OVERVIEW
The TennCare Communications Director serves the agency as the public relations lead as well as supporting internal communication initiatives. The director leads a team of 3 direct reports who all serve to support the agency’s communications efforts; social media content, generate animated and video content for internal and external utilization as well as responding to all media inquiries.
• Play a leading role in the development of the agency’s communications goals and objectives
• Serve as the agency public relations director by responding to all media inquiries or requests.
• Draft and publish all external agency communications such as press releases, one-pager, fact sheets and FAQ’s.
• Provide the Governor’s office department approved communications from TennCare
• Lead TennCare’s external facing digital content such as the agency websites, developing videos and social media platforms
• Partner with department executive leaders to create strategic communication plans for fiscal year budget, legislative hearings, and policy or initiative announcements
• Lead the agency in developing marketing materials for internal and external stakeholders while ensuring the agency remains compliant with state branding guidelines
• Ensure the agencies priorities are reflected on the state’s Customer Focused Government Transparent Tennessee website annually.
• Monitor and respond to social media posts
• Support the agency internal intranet site
• Partner with appropriate state agencies to roll out initiatives while ensuring the agency’s needs are met through new technologies and tools.
• Serve as the agency’s representative on various government communications committees including the KidCentral TN steering committee
• Lead the agency-wide internal communications strategy including weekly newsletter distribution, ad-hoc emails and updates, employee engagement
• Support agency executive team in drafting internal communications on large scale internal initiatives
• Partner with the Human Resources team to support agency-wide communications as needed
• Partner with contractors and vendors including but not limited to the contracted managed care organizations on key messaging and coordinating of public relations initiatives
• 10 years of experience in public relations or communications roles
• 5+ years of people management and supervisor responsibilities
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or other relevant areas of study.
To see all the great benefits available to State of Tennessee employees, go to the TN.gov Benefits page: https://www.tn.gov/hr/employees1/benefits.html
How to Apply
To apply for this job or see other opportunities at TennCare, visit the state of Tennessee’s Careers page today: https://www.tn.gov/careers/apply-here.html
- Date Posted: March 31, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Community Development