People Loving Nashville
TEMPORARY OUTREACH SPECIALIST II
People Loving Nashville
This position will be responsible for providing street outreach to individuals who are experiencing unsheltered homelessness. Outreach responsibilities include: canvassing mapped areas, engaging in basic conversation, assessing an individual’s needs, discussing available services including housing and disability assistance, providing informal 1:1 care, housing navigation, making referrals to other service providers or agencies, and engaging in other activities that may promote recovery or stability for the individual; offer assessment and recovery services for persons with co-occurring disorders of mental illness and substance use disorders. You will be working directly with our special partnership with Community Cares Fellowship where we will have direct access to housing for clients. As part of the PLN team, you will also support the ongoing weekly programming as needed.
The Outreach Specialist II role will report to the Outreach Manager. This position is a temporary grant-funded position through Community Cares Fellowship. This role is set to end on Oct 30, 2022.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Canvass mapped areas of downtown on foot consistently to locate and engage people experiencing unsheltered homelessness on the streets and in encampments
- Engage people experiencing unsheltered homelessness and establish rapport with individuals to reduce the risk of harm and to enhance safety (e.g. increasing access to cold-weather gear, crisis services, etc.)
- Ensure clients are given the support they are needed and track progress, making sure no client slips through the cracks
- Identify clients who will move into the rapid rehousing program with PLN partner, CCF
- Support people to achieve and maintain their personal goals transitioning into housing
- Linking people experiencing homelessness to additional services, as needed, such as healthcare, SNAP, SOAR services, etc.
- Promoting mental, physical, and spiritual health through connection to services and encouraging healthy choices
- Attend local community meetings regarding homeless services and advocacy
- Attend staff meetings and retreats
- Participate in weekly PLN programming, providing leadership and/or support where needed
- Perform other duties to support PLN, as assigned
- You have at least 1 year of experience in street outreach serving individuals experiencing mental illness, substance use, and/or homelessness.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, or related field; or equivalent experience in the social services field.
- You have a desire to meet people where they are and a passion for service.
- You are an effective communicator, whether that’s in person, by email, or phone and you’re able to communicate easily with people from varying walks of life.
- You are patient and an attentive listener.
- You are flexible and adaptable to the needs of a grassroots organization and willing to jump in where needed.
- You are a team player.
- You have excellent time management skills and the ability to independently meet deadlines.
- You have a valid driver’s license and personal auto insurance
- You are willing to work outside conventional business hours, including nights (and weekends, as needed).
PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- You are bilingual (Spanish language)
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to a phone interview. All job benefits will be discussed during that initial interview.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and the job title in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as pdf files entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity.
- Date Posted: January 11, 2021
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 02/01/2021
- Working Hours: 40