Turnip Green Creative Reuse
TGCR Mission: Fostering creativity and sustainability through reuse.
TGCR Description: TGCR opened in 2010 as Nashville’s first creative reuse non-profit organization. We divert materials from landfills through creative endeavors in four avenues: education, retail space, open studio, and gallery. We use our salvaged materials to create art with students.
TGCR Teaching Artist Positions at Glenview Elementary and Whitsitt Elementary: TGCR offers an aftercare program at Glenview Elementary and at Whitsitt Elementary Monday-Friday from 2:30-6:00 PM. This program aims to inspire creativity and encourage sustainable practices; to build positive relationships with students; and to guide students in their artistic, social, and emotional growth
Teaching Artists are responsible for planning and executing a reuse art curriculum for K-2 or 3-4. Teaching Artists are responsible for supporting Program and Site Lead with all aftercare activities, including meal-time, physical play, homework help, collaborative projects, and individual art. The Teaching Artists should be comfortable guiding a group of up to 20 elementary school students in artistic endeavors and are responsible for communicating with students’ parents and TGCR staff.
● Teaching or leading a group (K-4 preferred)
● Creating visual arts and/or reuse art
● Working collaboratively on a team.
● Punctual and devotes energy to students when leading classes
● Flexible and willing to take on program responsibilities as needed
● Creative with reusable materials
● Environmentally conscious
● Clear communicator
● Prepared and forward-thinking
● Patient, empathetic, and understanding of students, fellow teaching artists, TGCR staff and members, and other members of our community
● Works well on a team, strengthens community, and furthers our mission
● Accepting and respectful of all demographics and lifestyles
● Advocate for and support TGCR by making donations for materials (not those used for TGCR educational programs), attending events, engaging in social media, and/or promoting TGCR
This position is 17-21 hours per week. Rate of pay is $12 – 15/hour.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to TGCR Program Manager Erin Boddy at email@example.com.
- Date Posted: September 22, 2020
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Arts / Culture