Urban Green Lab
Sustainable Workplaces Coordinator
Urban Green Lab
Help us make workplaces more sustainable.
Urban Green Lab is searching for a full-time sustainable workplaces coordinator to help us fulfill our mission of teaching communities how to live sustainably.
Urban Green Lab
We teach communities how to live sustainably. Founded in 2009, Urban Green Lab is working to make learning how to make more sustainable choices in Nashville, Tennessee, just a part of life. We organize, train, and connect people in classrooms, households, and workplaces – places where culture begins. Learn more about our story, people, and values here.
Urban Green Lab’s Sustainable Workplaces Coordinator is responsible for helping teach employees in nonprofits, businesses, and government offices, how to work and live sustainably and where they can learn more. Supervised by the Assistant Director of Workplaces and in collaboration with the team, the coordinator supports the division’s programs, which include the Nashville Sustainability Roundtable, Urban Green Lab Certification, New Hire Orientation, and B Tennessee. The position is full-time, exempt, and based in Nashville with a flexible work-life balance.
The Workplaces Division is designed to help workplaces of all kinds integrate sustainability learning into their systems and their culture, both in the office and home workspace. We assess and guide the development of those learning systems by shaping everything from education during the hiring process to the formation of green teams and workforce educational procedures. Workplaces in Nashville have a big impact on our city and need a helping hand along their sustainability journey by connecting to resources and with each other. In order for workplaces to be sustainable, they first need to be educational.
Our Educational Philosophy
We believe learning how to live sustainably should just be a part of life. That means it needs to be systemic and woven into the existing fabric of who we are. Learning how to make more sustainable choices should begin with thinking “upstream” about how we can protect what we care about most in all the places where we learn, work, and live. We think these spaces can serve as laboratories for learning, taking chances, and exploring our life-long responsibilities as stewards of the earth. To us, a little change goes a long way.
Urban Green Lab enjoys a flexible work-life balance and all staff are responsible for managing their own schedules during the week. Staff are expected to spend reasonable time with the team at our Marathon Village office and partners in the community. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, listen and feel, reach hands above the shoulder, occasionally stoop or crouch, and lift or move items weighing 10-25 pounds.
Urban Green Lab is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing, and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. Urban Green Lab welcomes applicants from a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and ideas.
This job description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, requirements, or conditions. While intended to be accurate, it is not meant to exclude that other, different tasks may be required when circumstances change (such as during emergencies, personnel changes, workload alterations, rush jobs, or technological developments or advancements).
- Operations Support: Support the Workplaces Division with data entry and recordkeeping through Salesforce. Manage event attendance, track metrics and relationships, and execute appropriate paperwork for program enrollment. The Urban Green Lab Certification program has many deliverables for both Urban Green Lab and program participants, and this role will help ensure all requirements are met through our project management systems.
- Event Support: Assist in the execution of events, particularly the Nashville Sustainability Roundtable and B Tennessee, help make connections between participants, and provide strategic support on invitations, event format, day-of facilitation, and follow-up strategies.
- Design & Delivery of Sustainability Education: Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Workplaces on the maintenance of educational content for workshops and general educational programming for the division. Brainstorm new methods of engaging employees on sustainable practice. Deliver relevant trainings to workplaces, including existing workshops like “Sustainability 101.”
- Relationship Building: At Urban Green Lab, our relationships are our strongest asset. Work in conjunction with the Assistant Director of Workplaces on researching prospects and growing strategic partnerships and relationships with key workplaces and stakeholders city-wide. Attend networking sessions, table at events, and/or participate in community gatherings. Research potential new partners or sponsors.
- Other Duties: Contribute to the programs’ overall success in collaboration with the Development Manager for funding opportunities and the Communications Manager to share our the stories of our programs and champions. Attend regular team or organizational meetings, and represent the organization in the community. Other duties as assigned.
We’re searching for someone who is the following:
- Passionately committed to Urban Green Lab’s mission and values
- Entrepreneurial and goal-orientated with a keen sense for innovation
- Proactive, dependable, and on-time – a team player to the core
- Diplomatic with excellent community relations and listening skills
- Positive and flexible with intellectual curiosity and ability to adjust to change
- Inclusive and empathetic with an understanding of what it means to be equitable
- Humble and gracious under pressure with a high sense of integrity and humor
Experience & Knowledge
We’re searching for someone who has the following ideal experience and skills:
- At least 1-2 years of professional experience
- Great partnership development skills, ideally with diverse organizations
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and reporting meaningful data
- An understanding of sustainability, the environment, public health, or related issues
- Clear oral and written communications skills
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills
- An interest in the workplace community in Nashville
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position with a starting salary in the $47,000–$50,000 range. Exactly where a prospective employee will be paid within this range will depend on, among other factors, the candidate’s depth of experience and qualifications and the level of specialization the candidate has. Urban Green Lab reserves the right to adjust the title and salary range depending on the level of expertise of the candidate. Benefits include health insurance allowance (medical, dental, and vision), 408p match, cell phone stipend, team volunteering and service hours, professional development opportunities, 27 days of paid time off (which includes holidays of your choice and excludes sick leave), and 90 days of parental leave.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to Noah Spiegel, Sr. Director of Operations, at email@example.com. Combine all documents into one PDF file with your full name as the file name and write “Sustainable Workplaces Coordinator” in the email subject line. Incomplete submissions and follow-up inquiries will not be considered. Only applicants selected for consideration will be contacted. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. All correspondence is confidential. Background check required.
- Date Posted: January 5, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Education
- Start Date: 04/03/2023
- Salary Range: 47,000-50,000
- Working Hours: M-F 9:00am-5:00pm