Sustainability Outreach Coordinator – AmeriCorps Member
Hands On Nashville
The Sustainability Outreach Coordinator (Coordinator) participates in a yearlong term of AmeriCorps service (1,700 hours) supporting the Tennessee Environmental Council (TEC)’s mission to educate and advocate for the conservation and improvement of Tennessee’s environment, communities, and public health.
The Coordinator advances recycling, composting, and ecological restoration throughout the state through development of educational and outreach materials. The role also involves leading volunteers in outdoor fieldwork in varying weather conditions.
The Coordinator serves as part of a 23-person cohort of civic-minded individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through a partnership between TEC and the Hands On Nashville (HON) AmeriCorps Program.
- Research and develop educational materials and messaging, primarily for distribution on social media platforms
- Develop communications, including website materials, and media releases
- Support grant and/or sponsorship efforts related to recycling, composting, and ecological restoration (up to 10% of service hours)
- Track new program participants and monitor results
- Design and implement community projects to improve watershed health and the recycling stream (rain gardens, tree planting, riparian restoration, waste audits, zero–waste events, etc.)
- Participate in restoration field projects
- Develop and produce community outreach (phone calls, emails, meetings)
- Participate in team meetings and organizational events
Preferred Knowledge & Skills :
- Highly organized with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with social media and tools like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
- Passionate about environmental sustainability
- Proactive and able to work independently to accomplish goals
- Ability to perform manual labor outside, including lifting up to 50 pounds, in varying weather conditions throughout the year
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 17, 2020-August 8, 2021)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizenship
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
- Living allowance of $17,000, paid bi-weekly throughout the term of service
- Education award of $6,095, applicable to student loans and/or future education expenses at an accredited institution, upon fulfillment of service obligations
- Healthcare coverage, if elected
- Childcare benefits, if eligible
- Professional development training and ample networking opportunities
How to Apply
Apply online at my.americorps.gov.
For more information, please contact:
About Tennessee Environmental Council:
Tennessee Environmental Council’s mission is to educate and advocate for the conservation and improvement of Tennessee’s environment, communities, and public health since 1970.
HON builds capacity for individuals and agencies to meet needs through volunteerism. The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through support from the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
- Date Posted: May 14, 2020
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Education
- Start Date: 08/17/2020
- Working Hours: 35-40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:00am - 4:30pm