Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary
Summer Camp Instructor
Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary
Summer Camp Instructors ensure summer programming runs smoothly by assisting with the activities and overall operations. Our summer day camp program focuses on animals, conservation and the environment. Gain leadership skills, experience working with youth, activity planning skills, and knowledge of our native plants and animals.
Camp runs June 1 – July 30, 2021. All camp staff are required to attend mandatory training on May 27- 28, 2021 from 8 am – 4 pm.
- Responsible for the health, safety, supervision and well-being of summer camp participants.
- Instruct curriculum utilizing age-appropriate lessons, activities, crafts, hikes & games.
- Serve as a positive role model for youth.
- Create a positive environment that encourages active learning for camp participants.
- Participate in program activities (class time and outdoor activities) and work to involve all children in program activities.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with all staff, parents, volunteers and participants.
- Maintain supplies and equipment in good condition. Report damages.
- Maintain a safe, orderly program area and report any damage. Inspect facilities daily.
- Assist with daily camp set-up and take-down
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Follow all health and safety protocols.
- Shift may include supervising campers in early- or extended-care program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Experience working with children. Informal education experience or past summer camp experience – a plus
- Interest in nature and the environment
- Current First Aid and CPR certification – a plus
Camp Instructors must have solid problem solving and decision making skills. Ability to follow written and oral instructions. Ability to interact in a courteous and productive manner with diverse age groups. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks. Must enjoy working with children. Must have enthusiasm and appreciation for the value of nature.
Environmental Conditions & Physical Demands
- There is manual labor during the set-up and break-down of camp activities
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to work outdoors in temperatures above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for long periods of time, bend down and ambulate quickly.
How to Apply
We will begin reviewing applications immediately. Positions will remain posted until filled. Due to the large number of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Successful candidates are subject to a background check prior to hiring.
Owl’s Hill Nature Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Date Posted: January 19, 2021
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk, M-F, generally 8 am – 4 pm