Strategic Initiatives Manager
Tennessee has been making significant progress in advancing a bold education reform plan over the last decade and is now a leader in the nation in dramatically improving student achievement. Tennessee is among the fastest improving states for student achievement according to the Nation’s Report Card.
While Tennessee has made significant gains, there is much still to do – in public K12 education, in college and career readiness, and in postsecondary completion. The State Collaborative on Reforming Education (SCORE) plays a critical role in advancing student achievement, aligning K12 and postsecondary, and ensuring that all students can achieve career and life success. We work to monitor statewide progress in support of a prioritized agenda that drives collaboration across the state on policy while generating proof points and providing targeted support for implementation across the state.
SCORE is an independent, nonprofit, and nonpartisan organization founded by former US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and is dedicated to the goal that all students can achieve success in college, career, and life. SCORE supports student success in public schools across Tennessee by ensuring all schools and systems meet high expectations; preparing, recruiting, supporting, and retaining excellent teachers and leaders; and aligning K-12 and college with career and life success.
SCORE is based at Vanderbilt University’s John Seigenthaler Center. For more information on SCORE, please visit www.tnscore.org.
The Strategic Initiatives Manager will coordinate and drive progress on a number of SCORE’s strategic priorities. Specifically, the Strategic Initiatives Manager will 1) provide direct project support to the organization’s President and CEO and Vice President of Strategy, and 2) manage special projects and initiatives.
Specific examples of the work that the Strategic Initiatives Manager will be responsible for include but are not limited to:
- Manage special projects and initiatives for the organization.
- Provide communications support by drafting reports, memos, presentations, and internal and external communications as needed.
- Support in meetings and calls alongside the President and CEO and Vice President of Strategy, managing prep, taking notes, and coordinating next steps.
- Ensure timely updates are communicated internally with SCORE team members and externally with key partners, including SCORE Board of Directors, Advisory Council, philanthropic partners, and advocacy partners.
- Support on the execution of quarterly Board of Director Meetings and regular SCORE Advisory Council meetings, managing all planning for the meetings including agenda, pre-readings, PowerPoints, and communications as needed.
- Track progress on SCORE project plans, ensuring progress is being made and identifying where more attention is needed.
The Strategic Initiatives Manager will report to SCORE’s Vice President of Strategy.
SCORE is looking for a versatile and multi-skilled individual with knowledge of the education landscape who can excel in a cross-functional role:
- Candidates must have knowledge of the education landscape and a passion for SCORE’s mission and a drive to dramatically improve student achievement in Tennessee.
- Candidates must be systems and process thinkers, who are comfortable anticipating future needs and priorities.
- Candidate must have proven experience managing multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, rapid-growth, high-intensity, and intellectually-demanding environment.
- Extraordinarily high attention to detail is one of the most important qualities candidates can possess.
- Candidates must have outstanding demonstrated success in project management.
- Candidates must demonstrate the ability to think in innovative ways and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences.
- Candidate must have a high level of integrity and respect for confidentiality.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a requirement.
- Candidates must be able to problem-solve in the moment and proactively consult with other team members as appropriate.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated track record of being nimble and flexible and should possess a commitment to prioritizing the needs of the organization and its mission in all of their work.
SCORE deeply values team members and their wellbeing and is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits plan. All full-time SCORE employees are eligible for benefits, including:
- Medical insurance, including access to a high quality network with SCORE paying for the majority of medical coverage costs; dental insurance options; vision insurance options; employer paid disability, life insurance, and EAP benefits; access to Flexible Savings Accounts (FSA) and Health Savings Accounts (HSA) benefits.
- After one year of service, all full-time team members are eligible for participation in a 401K program with employer match.
- Paid parental leave time, including paternity, maternity, and adoption leave, available after six months of service.
- Paid time off, holiday office closures, and paid floating holidays.
- Free on-site parking.
How to Apply
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
At SCORE, we are committed to creating a workplace where all team members bring their whole selves to work and thrive both personally and professionally. We deeply value collaboration, optimism, excellence, and innovation in our student-centered work and in how we work together and support each other as a team. We also believe that it is important for our team to reflect the rich diversity of students in Tennessee, and that we intentionally create space for diverse viewpoints to meaningfully contribute to our work.
SCORE is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
- Date Posted: November 4, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Education
- Working Hours: Office Hours are M-F 8:00am - 5:00pm